Well this is embarrassing...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MissCluckCluck, Mar 6, 2012.

1. MissCluckCluck

MissCluckCluck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    SW Ontario, Canada
    This is a rooster, right? I'm embarrassed to ask. Never laid an egg. Never crowed (that I've heard). 10 months. EE (don't believe it's a pure ameraucana). Is basically at the bottom of the pecking order. I know, I should know, I just need some second opinions. Also, why doesn't he (if HE applies) crow like the others? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickenPrnces

ChickenPrnces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Deerfield, NH
    Well that is defiitely a rooster! See the feathers near the base of the tail. Those are saddle feathers! He is gorgeous. Is he the only rooster? If not then that is probably why he doesn't crow! I have 7 roosters that were all in the same huge house at one point! They all have their own girls but the roos seem to have their own pecking order. The dominant roo, my Black Australorp, is the only roo that crowed! Then I started building separate houses for each group and as they were moved, each boy started crowing! I have three left that live together still and only one of them started crowing. He is the little boss in the big house now!!![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. MissCluckCluck

MissCluckCluck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    SW Ontario, Canada
    Thanks! I was wondering about those feathers too. It's as though just recently he went roo-ish. The pen he's in is with four other roos, but they get along pretty well because they've been together since hatch. Once my Ameraucana (hens) chicks are older, he's going in with them. He's very friendly. I want to hear his crow! [​IMG]

4. ChickenPrnces

ChickenPrnces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Deerfield, NH
    If he is in with more dominant roos now and not crowing then when you put him in with the other boys he may be lower in the order and not crow again! I had a gorgeous ee boy, all black and gold, who I really wanted to hear. Sooo.....I built a little house and bought him four pretty wives from a friend. He crows soooo wonderfully now!

On the title of this thread.........don't be embarrassed. I had a man sell me 12 chickens. He said 1 boy and 11 girls. I lost a bunch of girls because they were, I think, older then he said. I was left with what I assumed, because he said it, 1 boy and 5 girls. I decided to go more pure in my lines so I listed them for sale. The day before the man came to get the girls my friend came over. She said, "oh, those boys are pretty!" I was shocked and asked which "boys" she was referring to. I actually had 3 boys and 3 girls. [​IMG] I didn't know what those saddle feathers were either.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    also the red in the wing area means cockerel as roosters are the only ones i have ever seen get that color on the wings...

1 person likes this.
  6. x2
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by