Well this isn't going as planned

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Arkantex, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Arkantex

Arkantex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    Well we ordered our 10 chicks to be mailed out on the 21st (this upcomming monday). I had plans to build up the coop last week and this week. Well, I work at a natural gas processing plant and we had to do an emergency plant shutdown/turnaround starting this past friday(11/11/11). Needless to say, I have been working from before sun up to well after it goes down since then. Just found out that the shutdown is going to go until sunday or monday. I have most of the coop built. Floor, walls with the exception of the top 1' of one wall where I am going to put windows , 3/4 of the roof. I still need to finnish the roof, build the windows, cut hole for the other window I am going to put in, build and install nesting boxes. I was planning on brooding the chicks in the coop. Here come the questions...

Will they be ok to brood out in the partially finnished coop?

Will it be ok for them to be in the coop while I finnish it, ie running a circular saw, nail gun, ect???

If no, how did you guys talk your wife into letting you brood chicks inside the house?

This is going to be a real pickel...[​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If there are any openings larger than 2 inches or so, I'd say that would not be a safe place to brood your chicks. Do you have a garage? If you could find a place to keep them for just a week (assuming that would give you time to finish roof/window areas), that would be good. A large box would work for the 1st week... If you don't have a garage, a spare/2nd bathroom???

3. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:Thats what we do for the first month or so. We keep our chicks in one of those 110 gallon water tanks from TSC and hitch up a heat lamp on the side. How far in west Texas are you. Wish we could come help and lend a hand. [​IMG]

4. Arkantex

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    Well there isn't any gaps at the bottom/ next the the floor. The gap on the wall is 4' up on my tall wall (single slant roof with a 4' wall and a 5' wall). I was going to brood them out in a large appliance box inside the coop. I have a spare bedroom and bathroom, but my house is going to be slam full with family for thanksgiving. My whole family is going to be here. Thats me, my wife and son, mom and dad, 2 adult brothers, my 4 sisters ranging from 21 to 11 in age, and my 4 year old nephew. All in a 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath house. They are getting here on wednesday and leaving on saturday.

I do have a make shift shed. It isn't really any more closed off from the elements than the coop is right now... But atleast they would be away from the "construction zone"

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Just use a stock tank, appliance box, utility trailer and brood them in the garage or utility room. Finish the coop and move them out. They'd freak over the noise of a hammer and/or nail gun. For the first 2 weeks, they are small and not all that busy. However, at week three? you'd better have finished the coop. Sure, they still need a little heat, especially at night, but a contractor extension cord, and you're good to go.

But, boy oh boy, do they ever "take off" in activity, flight attempts, running, chest bumping..... well, you get the picture.

6. Arkantex

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    Oh yeah, I'm not using an appliance box. I am using an IBC container that has the top cut off.

7. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    You will be fine to have them inside for a few weeks.. I started my red broilers indoors for the first 2 wks.. They do create alot of dust but shouldn't be that big of a problem unless you don't keep the brooder clean.. Baby chicks are an easy meal, I would not put them in the coop until it is finished..

8. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree that you shouldn't keep them in there until its done or they are bigger. When they are little its not a big deal to keep them in the house. Just make sure you keep it clean because it will get stinky in a hurry if you don't. When we got ours it was year we had a nasty cold snap (Minnesota) and they ended up in the house for almost 2 weeks. We used those big plastic totes and set the feeders and waters up on bricks to minimize mess. They are adorable and you'll probably get your wife to allow them IN the house after she sees how darn cute they are. After all, they are just babies. How long they will get to stay is questionable. Best of luck and enjoy the adventures!

9. potluck

potluck Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    I'm guessing your guests will spend a lot of time withyour chicks and may even help with the chores - keep them inside until the coop is finished.

10. Arkantex

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    Hahaha potluck I sure hope so!. I can garantee they will get plenty of affection while my family is here. That part I am sure of!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by