Well today he tried to spur me... ):

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amillecay, Apr 2, 2012.

1. amillecay

amillecay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2011
    my rooster can get aggresive and well today he tried to spur me thank god his spurs are not grown in fully.... I went out to the chickens today wearing shorts and some rubber boots and right when I walked in the roo ran up to me and totally tried to spur me like I said thank god they are not fully grown!! it's not to enjoyable anymore I can't just bring a bucket in there and sit down because of my roo i pick him up and thats the only thing that seems to help i am going to wait a tad bit longer if I decide to get rid of him but this has been going on for to long I don't want a mean roo!! Any way are there ANY other ways anybody knows of that I can help to fix this?? I know it never really does go away for an aggresive one but I want to try.

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Don't get hurt.

Good Luck-

How old is he, his 'change' to adulthood is rough and some calm down.

3. amillecay

Dec 29, 2011
    That is what i thought.. umm he is about 11 months still a cockerel but just figured I would say rooster lol! anyway is this around the time this happens?... He is my first roo I have just always had my girls :)

4. FireTigeris

depends on the breed some start as early as 8 months - some later then 1 year...

If you can avoid getting hurt, see if it works off-

I've put boys in time out alone away from the hens in a safe, confined area...

Not sure it changes their attitude but it helped mine.

5. amillecay

Dec 29, 2011
    Thanks I will :) I think i'll just have to try and wear jeans while out there

anyway I will consider it :D

6. FireTigeris

wear goggles- eye protection!!!!

7. amillecay

Dec 29, 2011
    LOL he hasn't gotten that bad but if he does I will!!

8. FireTigeris

wear protection -before- he gets bad, might save your eyes

9. amillecay

Dec 29, 2011
    True... maybe a good idea then! I would rather not be blind to tell you the truth!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by