1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Well utoh...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by walkswithdog, Sep 14, 2009.

1. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Okay so they were supposed to hatch late this week... Evidentally A and B did not get the memo. I went to turn them and really ticked off the two that are going to hatch today or tomorrow. Chuckle. Evidentally some hen got those two a head start. Proof failure to stop turning, doesn't stop hatching... oh hi bird. PEEP! Sorry.

I'll have to watch and see if he's dried out - I hadn't added my one bowl of water for the hatch level (45-50%) that I shoot for. Oddly nature just ignored me and started without it.

2. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    LOL, I love your comment about A and B not getting the memo! Every time we hatch duck eggs they ignore their own due date and hatch a couple of days early.

Good luck with your peeps! Oh, and aren't pictures "required" when you have cute little fuzzies to show off? [​IMG]

3. carriehelene

carriehelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    Congratulations Walkswithdog [​IMG] . Looks like our little hatch group is going strong. That's you, Gloria, and 2tx down so far, although I know you have alot more hatching to go [​IMG] . That must have been quite the surprise for you [​IMG]

4. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Well, over achiever A is out and he's a mystery all right, he's apparently blue and barred. That makes his daddy the Splash Sizzle... chuckle and his momma del or barred rock, looks like he might have a little foot trouble, though you wouldn't know it by the way he plowed out of that shell. Guess not all foot trouble means slow to hatch....

Baby B is not ready to grace us with a face yet... so we'll see, very dark beak though.

5. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Well, HE is not blue but barred, turned out darker as he fuzzed up. And baby B is black.

Since the eggs were identical to the other three that have hatched - I have three barred boys - that have to be delaware to barred rock or Birchen sizzle to barred rock, which makes barred boys and black girls. Solid birds here will be girls for the most part, which makes that part easier.

Unfortunately, both these last two weird hatchers have foot problems, we'll see if they hash out, some do, some don't. The boy looks less likely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by