Well, we had a baby chick hatch yesterday. UGH!!!LOL

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cstanley, Jan 7, 2008.

1. cstanley

cstanley New Egg

Nov 8, 2007
    My egg production was cutin halfon CHristmas day, so I figured they just found a new spot to lay. In the event of searching for the eggs I found a nest of 36 eggs in the hayloft of our barn. On a bale of hay balanced on a 2x4! UGH!!!! SO, at first I got excited, packing them up and put them in the fridge. Well, about an hour later it started to smell. OH NO! I did the flashlight bit and noticed something in there. I cracked one to see for sure, NOTHING, I cracked 4 and the 4th had a baby chick. CRAP~~ SO, I put the rest of the eggs back in the nest. Well, the chickens (I had 2 fighting to brood there!) knocked most of them out. I got down to 9. I penned up all but one chicken. She got the lucky job. AND GUESS WHAT! I had a baby chick yesterday!!! It is all colors and doing good! Too funny! We laughed and laughed. We thought surely after all of that they would all be dead!! SO, hopefully in the next few days I'll have a few more. I guess now the hard part is keeping it alive. I couldn't leave it atthe top of barn. It could have fallen off and ended up like the others! So sad! Live and learn I guess![​IMG]

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Wow. What a story! I'm sure the lone survivor deserves a good name....like Hercules if it's a boy...amazing that it made it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by