Well Well, seems I have a "Novelty Chicken" with a new name ..... LOL

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lockedhearts, May 7, 2009.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I hatched "Shaq" from eggs I got from SPeckledhen last year. I love Shaq (aptly named for BIG feet). As "Shaq" grew , the color remained dark so I thought, well ok, I have a nice Hen with a weird name and big Feet.

Here is a pic of "Shaq" in January, typical Barred Rock Hen

[​IMG]

I discussed things with Speckledhen and there was a time when we thought "Shaq" might be a Cockerel, then we "settled" on Pullet.
    The other day, someone came and bought 3 extra pair of Barred Rocks from me, they were in the pen with "shaq", it was cloudy and rainy I gathered the pairs and glanced at "Shaq" I swear I thought I saw saddle feathers coming in.
    I pm'd Speckledhen and took pics later that day.

New pics from Monday:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

No Crow or egg that I have seen! So for now, I have either a Pullet with Saddle feathers or a really dark cockerel.

"Shaq" will now be known as "RuPaul" [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Saga continues [​IMG]

"Insert Twilight Zone music here"

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You have to hatch some more more Zoe's babies to see what happens! This was her first chick and makes me wonder how any others will come out.

3. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I have some growing in the bator now [​IMG]

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    It's a man, man! Does it have spur nubbins?

5. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:Not really, this has been a real stumper. So "RuPaul" will be called that so no matter what"it" ends up being the name will work [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  6. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    It is dark, but it's a ROO!

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    definite cockeral [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That is a REALLY dark boy, but as Karen said, Zoe, his mom, is darker than most of my BR hens, with very fine barring. He kept us guessing for a long, long time!

9. IHeartCapnHook

IHeartCapnHook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    North Dallas
    "it's" tail feathers don't really tell you, either?? My vote is a dark boy. Either way, that is one good looking rock!

10. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    The tail feathers are looking more and more like a cockerel, so I guess "RuPaul" will be the darkest cockerel in the south [​IMG]

I have more of Zoe's eggs in the bator and a couple in the hatcher now, we will see how other chicks of hers turn out, I would love to see a pullet by her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by