Well, what have we got here?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shortbread, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Shortbread

Shortbread New Egg

Feb 10, 2013
    Picked up 4 Bantams from the assorted Bantam bin at Callahans - chicks are about 5 weeks old now. Hoping for some help identifying breed and most importantly sex!

By the way - I never realized how difficult it was to take a good picture of a chicken. They NEVER keep still! :)

Thanks!

BELLA - really hoping this one is a female, totally my favorite. So gentle and flys to land on me for snuggles whenever I open the cage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SOLEIL - I have doubts this is actually a bantam, unless they vary in size. This one appeared to be a week or so younger than the others based on the lack of wing feathers when I got them. It is now larger than the rest and kinda fat. Very soft and squishy compared to the others. Also it's legs are really big and stocky compared to the others.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LUCY (or LOU) - Assuming this a rooster? This one has wanted to have nothing to do with me since day 1 :( Was the most striking looking of all the chicks. It's feet are kinda purple looking and so is the breast bone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DALI- Interesting coloring, the white feathers you can see on the chest in this photo continue all the way down the front. Back of the neck and head are coming in orange.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I appreciate any help!

2. The one u suspect is a rooster is prob a rooster the other ones look like hens to me.IDK there breeds though

3. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    #1 is a pullet - my guess a wheaten old english game bantam
    #2 is a cockerel(that rosecomb is too wide and pronounced for a pullet that age) - my thoughts are buff wyandotte
    #3 is a cockerel - either golden campine or gold campine old english game bantam
    #4 is a cockerel - black breasted red old english game, his colour alone is already a give away to his gender, hens of that colour would have no black on their chest

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    x2 only one pullet in this group sorry

5. 1 Happy Hen

1 Happy Hen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    Michigan
    I think the first 2 are pullets and the last 2 are cockerels.

6. Shortbread

Shortbread New Egg

Feb 10, 2013
    Thanks for the input. Anyone want some roosters? :)

7. chesterbarton78

chesterbarton78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    England
    1) Pullet
    2) Cockerel
    3) Cockerel
    4) Cockerel
    [​IMG]

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Sorry looks like 3 cockerels and one pullet.

9. ChristyAnneCobb

ChristyAnneCobb Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2013
    DFW area
    My Coop
    Pullet, Roo, Roo, Roo I think. :( Sorry. I got quite a few roos too unfortunately.

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As others have said, 1 pullet and 3 cockerels. Sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by