Well you just never know......

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lockedhearts, Jul 4, 2010.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    My one eyed LF Favorelle hen was broody, she had some Bantam Fav eggs under her. I knew the eggs were close and we have a Rat Snake that lives under the big coop, so I moved her to one of my Bantam pens up off the ground to hatch. She hatched one chick out a week and a half ago, I left the others as she was still sitting, but a couple days later she started leaving the eggs most of the day and scratching with the chick. I kept telling myself I needed to move the eggs and discard them but never got around to it, some were at least a week behind when I last candled, today was out and happened to look and saw one of the eggs with most of the shell gone and the membrane still there. I thought it was probably a dead egg and she had either pecked it or accidently cracked it. Imagine my surprise when there was a live chick, I checked it was fully formed and absorbed. I left it, but kept a close eye thinking I may need to bring it in and stick it under a light, I did have a light in the pen so turned it on. After the chick warmed it started peeping, she walked to the nest and settled back on the chick! I kept an eye on her, she stayed on the nest, her older chick would run to eat and drink but then came back. I just never expected her to have chicks hatch a week apart, especially since she pretty much was only sitting on the nest at night.

WOW!

2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

WOW! [​IMG]

Mother Nature is full of surprises!

3. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    I'm SO happy to hear it turned out so well!

4. Sweet Violet

Sweet Violet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Vista CA
    Oh My Gosh, doesn't she KNOW she has to keep the humidty up and all about lockdown?????
    Seriously... what a little miracle, congratulations on the bonus baby!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by