1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wellie Owners

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mrsfoote, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Does anyone else have a particularly loud Wellsummer mine whom I just got about 3 days ago is very vocal she has laid 1 egg for us already and she LOVES to sing the egg song not just for herself but for our SLW who is very quiet...this is my first wellie....

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Either they are noisy or they are not.

Mine is quiet in most cases. However one would vocalize when I'm out there.

3. cpartist

cpartist Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Alachua County FL
    Mine are quiet as well, until they launch into the egg laying song. Most of my breeds knock this off after a while,
    but the Wellie's sing after every egg laid, then the Roo joins in, then lots of other peeps.

They also have a deeper, more honking sound than my other breeds. It was startling and funny at first...
    Now I'm kind of glad most are molting and not laying...it's a little quieter in the chicken pens.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Both my hens and my wellie rooster like to sing. They are all loud.

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    My girls have quite the egg song- I can always tell when I get a wellie egg! My roo crows all day long too-but he has competition to keep in check [​IMG]

6. rainierlass

rainierlass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2010
    Eatonville,WA
    My 'dutch' girls Elke and Lotte are loud as well.......talk talk talk talk bawk bawk bawk!

But I love em! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Mine are singers as well....even the boys. They sure do like their egg songs! [​IMG]

8. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    I guess so Marilyn is quite the singer...and she has such a lovely attitude all the time I'm like holy cow batman...and she has PERFECTED the stink eye let me tell you she is ticked for me taking her from her 5 acres so a suburban back yard and is probably like you call this ghetto thing A COOP I'm fixin to change her name Marilyn seems like to nice of a name any ideas....

[​IMG] Here is my Marilyn oh you should see her pretty little eggs I'm so happy with her

9. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Our Welsummer roos are the loudest things ever- louder than any other breed we've had! They screech and howl all day long... But they are so handsome, it's hard to hold it against them! Our hens like to do the egg song at night when everyone is settling in...

10. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    [​IMG] This is my Marilyn with Lacie's big ol butt in the way
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by