1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wellies for fat girls?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Dec 4, 2010.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I really, really need some rubber work boots for working out in the muddy runs this winter. Wellingtons, garden boots, muck boots, galoshes... whatever you would like to call them. I wear a size 8 shoe, but apparently have bigger than normal calves (calfs?). I have seen some half size muck boots in catalogs, but they are around $80 and I can't see paying that for work boots to wear in the coops. My only option right now is to buy a pair of men's work boots at the co-op and cut them down. That seems silly if I can find some for real. Any body know of where to find some work boots?

2. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Do they come up to the knee? Or higher?

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    The ones that don't fit are the ones that come up to the knee. The shorter shin height likely will work, but the only ones I have found are really expensive. [​IMG]

4. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I don't have particularly large calves, but when I tried to get some I found that many brands were too tight in the leg because I wanted to be able to wear high socks and tuck my jeans into them. I shopped and shopped, and actually found a pair with a wider calf right at Walmart for $25.00. This was last winter, but they may have them again now.

5. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    I'd go to Walmart and buy a cheap pair and cut them off. They should make them adjustable,...and cheaper. [​IMG]

6. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I won a shorter pair of womens muck boots (they go a little past the ankle, beloe the knee) on ebay for $50 - includes shipping - they are $80 inthe store

7. Want Less

Want Less Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    New Bern, NC
    Quote:I have some rubber "Ranger Ladybugs" that come up just over my ankle. Heavy rubber sole, durable, mud/water proof... I got them several years ago out of a tack catalog and I love them.

8. ebwy2

ebwy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    men's boots are often wider than women's, might be worth trying a few pairs on

9. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Hey CityGirl!

I have big calves too. I buy men's boots (go 2 sizes smaller, as a general rule) AND I cut them off to just the right height so they will fit. Well, either that, or I wear Jeff's giganto size 11s. [​IMG]

Remember last winter when they stuck in the snow and I ran right out of them? [​IMG]

10. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Tractor Supply, baby! In the back of the shoe section they have two kinds of rubber muck boots. They have a generous cut calf, perfect for tucking in winter clothing! I think they were only something like $20. I love love love mine. When I wear them, I am invincible. Seriously.

[​IMG]

[Ed. to add - the two TSCs around here don't always keep everything well-stocked. If you find the boots but not your size, you can just ask at the desk and they may be able to hold some 8s for you - - or you can just check back in a week or so.]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by