Wellies or sussex

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fish n cheeps, May 13, 2010.

1. fish n cheeps

fish n cheeps Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2010
    Hello everyone, just wondering if anyone can help me. I ordered five chicks from mpc, 3 wellsummer, 2 speckled sussex. They arrived safe and sound, and are now 3 1/2 weeks old. I only ordered 5, but I received six. One of them has a curly foot, and i'm pretty sure is a roo. I'm also assuming that he was the one thrown in for free. When they arrived they all looked identical. They're changing a little, but are still so similar I have no idea who is a wellie and who is a sussex. I also have on that is waaaaayyy behind all the others as far as feathering, and have heard that this is a sign of being a roo too. Amy help would be appreciated. Who's who?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The top 3 are welsummer pullets. The bottom 3 look to be your speckled sussex. And I would agree that the curly toed one looks like a rooster.

3. anniem

anniem Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Eugene, OR
    Yeah, the SS have the white chests. And very pink legs.
    Is it just the lighting or do the wellies have a more yellow leg?

4. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Any white chest and pink legs are the Speckled Sussek.
    You might still be able to fix that chicks foot if you tape it flat/strait to something like cardboard or cutout butter bowl lid.

Last edited: May 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by