Wellies won't lay in nest boxes.........

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchickens2009, Sep 16, 2012.

1. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    I have a flock with 8 Wellies, 2 RIRs n 1 mixed breed hen that were all born together in one hatch and have been laying for 2 months.The RIRs n the mixed hen lay in the nest boxes but none of my Wellies will? I have tried everything from blocking themfrom every corner and every new place they lay on the ground as they do so but they just find a new spot. I have had fake eggs in their boxes since they were 4 months old. I have been working in the yard by their coop and watched them go to lay on the ground and went and picked them up n put them in the nest (1 I even locked her in) but they just jump down and lay on the ground a.s.a.p. The one I locked in didn't lay until I let her out a couple hrs later.
    This as become very frustrating as the eggs get so dirty, especially if it rains or someone poops on them. Does anyone have any other ideas I can try pls?

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    A while back I heard of someone put a nest box on the ground where they were laying. Let them get comfortable laying there then slowly moved the box to where they were supposed to lay. I guess that's something else to try.

3. Angie8eggs

Angie8eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2012
    I ended up having to use a big planter pot for a nesting box for mine, had to put the fake egg in it, and it worked. I hope it stays that way, it's frustrating, I know!! :/

4. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    I will put a nest box on the ground n if they use it I will gradually move it toward the other boxes n c if that helps.
    Tks for the idea!
    God bless!

5. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Hi all. Haven't been on much lately, still cleaning up after "Sandy" when I have time off work.
    Still frustrated with my Wellies as they are still laying all their eggs on the ground. I tried the above quote that Den in Penn suggested and they still will not lay in the nest box. They either lay to one side or the other. I have taken out the fake eggs and put their eggs in the nest and left them there knowing that after awhile I will have to toss them but willing to do so if that's what it takes to break the habit/train good egg laying behavior but........ still no luck?
    Some days when I go to collect eggs and theirs are all dirty, especially if full of poop, I feel like I could just cull them all.
    Any ideas?

6. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Sorry double post

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by