1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wellies won't lay in nest boxes.........

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchickens2009, Sep 16, 2012.

1. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    I have a flock with 8 Wellies, 2 RIRs n 1 mixed breed hen that were all born together in one hatch and have been laying for 2 months.The RIRs n the mixed hen lay in the nest boxes but none of my Wellies will? I have tried everything from blocking themfrom every corner and every new place they lay on the ground as they do so but they just find a new spot. I have had fake eggs in their boxes since they were 4 months old. I have been working in the yard by their coop and watched them go to lay on the ground and went and picked them up n put them in the nest (1 I even locked her in) but they just jump down and lay on the ground a.s.a.p. The one I locked in didn't lay until I let her out a couple hrs later.
    This as become very frustrating as the eggs get so dirty, especially if it rains or someone poops on them. Does anyone have any other ideas I can try pls?

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    A while back I heard of someone put a nest box on the ground where they were laying. Let them get comfortable laying there then slowly moved the box to where they were supposed to lay. I guess that's something else to try.

3. Angie8eggs

Angie8eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2012
    I ended up having to use a big planter pot for a nesting box for mine, had to put the fake egg in it, and it worked. I hope it stays that way, it's frustrating, I know!! :/

4. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    I will put a nest box on the ground n if they use it I will gradually move it toward the other boxes n c if that helps.
    Tks for the idea!
    God bless!

5. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Hi all. Haven't been on much lately, still cleaning up after "Sandy" when I have time off work.
    Still frustrated with my Wellies as they are still laying all their eggs on the ground. I tried the above quote that Den in Penn suggested and they still will not lay in the nest box. They either lay to one side or the other. I have taken out the fake eggs and put their eggs in the nest and left them there knowing that after awhile I will have to toss them but willing to do so if that's what it takes to break the habit/train good egg laying behavior but........ still no luck?
    Some days when I go to collect eggs and theirs are all dirty, especially if full of poop, I feel like I could just cull them all.
    Any ideas?

6. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Sorry double post

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by