Welll- I thought he was a blackish chick...???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by heathersboers, Jan 2, 2011.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Out of a mixed batch of eggs with a pair of Gold Laced Wyandottes- but he was born mostly black!!! could he be a GLW or not?? [​IMG]

3 weeks ago
    [​IMG]

today
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  2. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    He's starting to look like a GLW, but I've never seen a GLW chick hatch out black.

3. heathersboers

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Quote:sorry I posted the wrong pic- he still didnt have evry distinct markings though- My next batch of chicks had VERY distinct markings.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    He may be just a poorly laced Wyandotte. . . (which is common) - It looks like s/he is going to have an almost double-laced/partridge appearance, which would make sense with the dark coloration.

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    What kind of comb does this one have? It looks single to me but I can't see it very well because of the pic.

6. heathersboers

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    He has a rose comb- Is it possible that his dad was the GLW roo and his mom either a gold comet or a black australorpe to make this coloring? Would he still have the rose comb id=f the mom had a single?

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yes to the comb question. The black australorp would be the one to make this. A golden sex link would only create mostly white chicks or mostly golden chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by