Wells for Ponds

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kangababy, Jan 5, 2011.

1. kangababy

kangababy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    So this is kind of duck related..

We are thinking about putting in a new well with a larger pump to help fill our avairy(s) up faster but I can not find one on the phonebook or online that does them..

Does anyone know of anyone in the North Alabama area that still drills water wells for individuals?

2. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    If you cant find anyone you can do the well yourself with a bailer maybe. Thats what I did. I rented one from Ace hardware, it was hard work. We went down about 25 feet and used 2 in pipe then used a starite 1 1/2 hp pump (shallow well)

3. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    There should be an online listing for your state's Water Well Driller's Association. If you can't find it, ask your county extension agent.

4. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Nice that you only have to go 25 feet- we had one put in a couple years ago that is over 1000 feet.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  5. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Quote:Nice that you only have to go 25 feet- we had one put in a couple years ago that is over 1000 feet.

Yikes! 1000 feet?!? Ours is 200 ft and I thought that was bad!

Laurie

6. kangababy

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    Thanks Still looking! I didn;t htink that is would be this hard to find one!
    I have one who said they would call me back..

So what size pump would you put on it?

The one we have now is 1/2 horse power and it take about 2 days to fill up the "pond" in our avairy!

The well we have now is I think around 150ft down or more and it is about 25 years old and runs to the hosue as well.. Looking to get the new drill for the avairy(s) and barn!

7. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Kangababy

Do you mind sharing the info on the driller that is going to get back to you ? I have also been searching for a driller. I found one a few years ago but he was only able to go about 105 feet and he had to stop because he hit rock(said he didn't have a rock bit), but 105 feet wasn't deep enough so that was time and money wasted. If you don't mind sharing, just send a PM or email,

thanks

8. kangababy

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    Quote:sure.. he number is at home and I will send it to you tonight

I talked to him last night and he waid that he would talked to someone and see what kidn of ground we had here (yeah Limestone) and get back to me on a estimate!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by