Wellsummer hen not feeling MAMA PASSED AWAY :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vnploveschickens, Apr 3, 2009.

1. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello Everyone and thanks in advance for your advice.

Mama, who I estimate to be about 8 months, is not feeling well. About 10 days ago, she started moving in slow motion, not eating as much, not greeting us, not "talking" as much. So we brought her in, quieter, warmer, but still doesn't seem to be eating well. She's got water with vitamins/electrolytes which she does drink, a small dish of layer crumbles, another with scrambled egg & soft rice, another with yogurt. She is picking but it doesn't look like anything is really being eaten. One thing she has been doing is trilling and I don't know what that might mean.

About 2 months ago, Mama looked like she was eggbound, so we brought her in. We did the warm bath, massage, and oiling the vent several times. I never felt an egg during the massage. She finally pooped some yucky green plant-like stuff several times. She felt better, started eating, squawking, walking around. So we put her back in the coop with Herman, brown leghorn rooster about 5 months old now, and Hawk, our Ameracauna pullet about 8 months old now. Mama started laying her eggs about 1-1/2 weeks later.

Everything has been fine and normal till now. What else should I be doing? We are worried and scared. We don't want to lose her. [​IMG]
    Mama is one of our first pullets we got in Sept 2008.

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    So sorry to hear about this poor girl's decline.

I recently lost a 10-month old pullet to worms. She'd had roundworms for a long time (as evidenced by water-y poop) but we didn't know it. She also got coccidiosis, which we treated her for. Unfortunately we didn't catch the worms in time and it was fatal for her.

Have you examined her fecal matter for possible signs of parasites or blood?

You're doing the right thing by keeping her quiet and giving her yogurt, electrolytes, and water.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Does she walk like a penguin? If so, then she may be egg impacted somewhere.

I agree with Jenn, best to keep her quiet and hope for the best!

4. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    It sounds like you are doing the right thing.

Could she have an impacted crop?

5. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mama passed away last night. She was breathing hard with her beak open. She fell over about midnight. We loved her alot and will miss her antics.

[​IMG]

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that she passed away. Hugs to you & your family for loving this little girl so much.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

8. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    [​IMG] soooo sorry. [​IMG]

9. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    [​IMG]
    I am so sorry. I just recently lost my 2 yr old black langshan roo that was my baby.....
    I still don't know what he got sick and passed.
    [​IMG]

10. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Sorry about mama.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by