1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wellsummer? Light brown leghorn? Neither?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by robphenix, Sep 3, 2016.

1. robphenix

robphenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    [​IMG]
    ... and while I'm at it, is all hope lost that it's not a roo?
    The best I can say is that (s)he is a few weeks old. We got this one and 2 others from a batch that included a wide variety of breeds. In the linked video, the one in question is the little one in the foreground. The other, we're pretty sure, is a golden laced Wyandotte.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It definitely a rooster. It's not a welsummer or leghorn because it's legs are dark, maybe a game.

3. robphenix

Feb 25, 2012
    Adding this photo to help with the roo (?) predictions. The blue legs really have us confused too. Just can't find a good solid match for this bird online.
    [​IMG]

4. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Not sure the breed, but looks like a rooster. Sorry.

5. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Very pretty though. If you are not allowed to keep roosters/ you don't want him, I think it won't be that hard to find a home. We just had to re-home our rooster last week. Breeders are usually willing to take them. It might be best to hold on to him before you know for absolute sure though, because some of our other chickens that we were going back and forth about turned out to be hens. My profile pic is of the roo that we just had to give away.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  6. robphenix

Feb 25, 2012
    Fortunately the seller assured us he'd gladly take any back who turned out to be roosters. We're already attached, but we bore this in mind. Sorry you had to rehome yours. Thanks for the feedback.

7. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Welcome. I'm looking to see if I can find out the breed. I remember seeing a photo that looks like yours. Just a sec

8. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    [​IMG] Does this match?
    photo creds: Rock Home Isle

9. robphenix

Feb 25, 2012
    That looks like this little one a week or so ago, with the exception that ours has blue legs.

10. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Ok, let me do a little more searching to see if I can find out the breed. Did yours have blue legs when they were little? As in, before they grew in feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by