Wellsummer vs. Speckled Sussex Roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AnninNY, Oct 9, 2016.

1. AnninNY

AnninNY Just Hatched

Aug 5, 2016
    Western New York
    My exotic chick from Murray McMurray ended up being a Wellsummer roo. He and the others are ten weeks old. I had ordered a Specked Sussex Roo and he's cute!. I don't know that I should keep two roosters - they may fight over the hens, right? If it were to cull one, which should I cull? The Wellsummer seems more sparky than the Sussex. They both come forward when I enter the pen. Is it terrible to ask my veterinarian husband to caponize one for me? Here are their pics.[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Picking a rooster at that age can be tricky. I often wait until one starts to make trouble before deciding, and I will often pull the troublemaker, pen him separately and see how the next one does before making any final decisions. You could decide by looks, than one day the one you choose turns aggressive towards you or the hens, than you will regret not keeping the other. It can take until a rooster is close to a year old before his true personality starts to show through after his hormones have calmed down and he has too.

3. AnninNY

AnninNY Just Hatched

Aug 5, 2016
    Western New York
    Thanks for your reply. I could do a separate bachelor pen following your advice although now they all get along fine. You can only caponize before 5 months, I've read...

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I have no experience with caponizing roosters so I'm no help there unfortunately. But having a husband who a vet must be wonderful. I have read about more welsummer roosters being trouble, so I probably would do that one if you were going that route.

How many hens do you have? Two roosters can get along with one being dominant and one submissive. I actually have around 18 roosters currently, they have their own pecking order. So there's lots of ways to go forward depending on what you want in the end.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I believe @QueenMisha is familiar with caponizing, maybe she will give some advice on it.

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I would keep both longer, and see who works out best. If one or both turn into trouble, both can go. I've had both ugly and wonderful SS cocks, and no experience with Welsummers. Neutering cockerels needs to happen very young, before sexual maturity, or the death rate goes up a lot. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by