Wellsummer?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by carriebain, Oct 20, 2013.

1. carriebain

carriebain Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2013
    Lakewood California
    She is supposed to be a Wellsummer, but has a black head green legs and a muff? Anyone want to guess? I would be thrilled if she is a olive egger! [​IMG]

2. carriebain

Sep 19, 2013
    Lakewood California
    [​IMG]

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    You have an Easter Egger pullet :D

Don't know if she is an olive egger or not. Depends on who her parents were. (You need one parent to be a dark egg layer and the other possessing the blue gene for eggs....and a bit more complicated...but that's generally how it works if I understand things.)

Maybe someone can step in and verify that by sight...but EE's are so variable that I think it would be hard to validate parentage on sight alone.

Lady of McCamley

4. carriebain

Sep 19, 2013
    Lakewood California
    I know that her mother was a Wellsummer, but her dad could of been anyone. Strong characteristics of a ameracauna . Breeder says he doesn't mix birds, but it looks like their was some sneaking around! Lol

5. carriebain

Sep 19, 2013
    Lakewood California
    I will get some better pictures tomorrow

6. carriebain

Sep 19, 2013
    Lakewood California
    This is her as a baby 2 weeks old (yellow chipmunk) [​IMG]

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    What is her comb? The photos are so blurry when I click in to enlarge that I can't really see too much...however she looks like she has a pea comb?

With the green legs you know you have an EE. If she has a pea comb, you have about 90% chance of her also having the blue gene. If momma was a Welsummer for sure, and it certainly looks like Dad was an Ameraucana then I should think you have a good chance that she could lay olive eggs or dark green...IF momma laid dark eggs (some Welsummer lines are not especially dark).

If dad was an EE, he would have to have gotten the blue gene to pass along, and then 50% would lay brown and 50% lay green (if the hen was a brown layer).

Anyway that's how I understand it after it was recently explained to me. I have some hatchlings of dubious parentage that I am hoping to have mixed with EE to provide me with green eggs with my ham.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. [​IMG]
    Lady of McCamley

8. carriebain

Sep 19, 2013
    Lakewood California
    Her comb is very small, It has little bumps, but I can't tell if it's pea or rose or straight. I will get some close ups of her face. I think she is a striking bird with beautiful markings and sweet personality too!

9. carriebain

Sep 19, 2013
    Lakewood California
    I can't wait for that first egg. She is only 8 weeks [​IMG]

10. carriebain

Sep 19, 2013
    Lakewood California
    Here are some new pics. Her name is Kevin. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by