1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Welp Hatcheries best experience ever

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by rekabnivek, Aug 12, 2011.

1. rekabnivek

rekabnivek Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    We ordered chicks from Welp Hatcheries. Order was for 5 standard cochins, and 20 assorted rare breeds. We ended up getting the 5 cochins and then 26 of the rare breeds. Total of 31 instead of 25!!!!! We did have one of the rares die 1 day after shipment, but still have 25 of the 20 ordered. Most of the cochins are hens with onle one roo!!!!! Of the assorted rare it seems kind of odd that we have a hen and roo pair of each of the breeds that they sent. But that is fine since we would like to breed them anyway.

Now of Murry McMurry. My grandfather has always ordered from them. He has had only one problem, but was remedied by them immediately. He had ordered 50 chicks, when they arrived 10 of the 50 were dead. He called McMurry and the promptly sent him 50 more chicks at no charge. I guess that is why he still orderes from them.

We ordered from Welp because we didn't have to order so many of the same thing.

2. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Congratulations! Pictures?

3. umanduhbree

umanduhbree Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Lacona, IA
    We purchased our first australorps from Welp. We ordered 25, recieved 27. One died on day one, and one is now called Mutt Chicken because it is an australorp mix. It's kind of a funny looking bird. We used Murray McMurry for our barred rocks and have been satisfied with both companies. Both I would highly recommend.

4. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

What breeds are in the rare breed assortment?

Assortments are fun!

5. cielo

cielo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Mattawa, Washington
    I'm happy to know you liked Welp. I'm planning to order turkeys and maybe chickens from them in March. Thanks for sharing.
    -C

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by