Welp Hatchery Cornish Rock Broilers experience?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CDennis, Feb 10, 2011.

1. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    I had my first run with Ideal Red Broilers and although it wasn't a bad experience the grow out was much longer than I was intending for birds I plan to sell. I think they would be great if you wanted to interlace meat birds along w/ your flock. I have been doing some research and I found Welp Hatchery. They seem to be a pretty nice cornish strain but I would like to know about any personal experience with the birds.

2. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] I had a good experience with Welp CornishX, ordered 25 straight run in the summer got 26 didn't lose any until around 5 weeks of age due to heat exhaustion(sp) and they grew out pretty well. I have some coming on the 16th so should have them by the 18th. I'll let you know if I lose any.

3. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    We bougt them last summer for our fair. They grew wonderfully. They were 8wks at fair time and the smallest was over 7lbs largest was 10lbs. We took 3rd, 4th, 5th and grand meat chicken. The grand bird was a 9lb hen and our 3rd place was a roo and he was over 10lbs. The second place hen was raised by a friend who shared the chick order with us.

We butchered at a bit over 9wks and none were under 7lbs CLEANED. None of them fit in the gallon size vacuume bags we had so we had to part them out. I already have our birds ordered for the fair this year. If they grow the same as the did last year I think I am going to pick the fair birds and butcher the rest before the fair that way they fit in the bags.

We had 2 that "went down" but they were already butchering size so they weren't a waste. They just went to the freezer a bit before the rest.

4. CDennis

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Thank you for the posts. Sounds like they are solid stock. I will be ordering soon! Sounds like I better get them going before summer hits to be on the safe side.

5. KathyK

KathyK Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Liberty Hill, TX
    Now I'm torn. I was planning on driving to pick up my chicks at Ideal (2 hour drive). The prices are actually better for the Welp birds even with shipping them. I've never had chicks shipped to me before. Hmm. What do you all think? Sounds like an amazing growth rate for these guys.

6. CDennis

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Quote:What were you going to get from Ideal? I have never raised their CX so I guess I shouldn't put my two cents in....I did like the red broilers but they took forever to grow out...up side they really do look and act like traditional chicken.

7. KathyK

Dec 10, 2009
    Liberty Hill, TX
    I was planning on getting Cornish X from Ideal also. They sold out very quickly until mid March. I want to start early March as it gets super hot here super quickly. I called my local post office and they get the birds in there, so I went ahead and ordered from Welp. This will be my first time with meaties and also first time getting chicks in the mail. Finger's crossed.

8. terri9630

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Here is one of our birds. She was 9lbs.

[​IMG]

Here they are as chicks with one of their guardians.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  9. KathyK

Dec 10, 2009
    Liberty Hill, TX
    Oh my gosh! She is huge! [​IMG]

10. terri9630

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Quote:She was good. The chicken I mean, the dog is currently hogging the couch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by