Welp Hatchery

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vortec, Apr 16, 2009.

1. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Any experience with Welp hatchery? I am strongly considering them for my big purchase of Cornish broilers as well as their great selection of rare breeds, and standard breeds that not all hatcheries offer( california gray, javas, golden lakenvelders ) Also, when the last of my current roosters grow up and meet the fridge I am out of the rooster business for the most part. Is there anyway to get them not to send me tons and tons of roosters for warmth with my order? I would appreciate any insight. Thanks!

vortec

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Welp is great! I've placed 2 orders with them and everything was perfect. I didn't lose a single one of my Cornish.

3. KLH2010

KLH2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    I don't know about the packing peanuts issue but I can tell you that they are really great do deal with in general. I ordered some geese from them and the whole experience was awesome. The geese were in great shape except for one that died in transit (probably due to it being July) and they refunded the difference right away. Very friendy and helpful also.

4. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    I have just limited experience with Welp, but it's been positive so far. I ordered 30 Cornish which shipped 3/18, and received 32. One was DOA at the post office and one looked like it broke its' neck in the brooder at about a week. The remaining 30 are healthy and doing well.

When we're ready for our next order I'm sure we'll use Welp again.

5. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    If you get into the rare breeds, ask where they are shipping out of. We had some chicks that spent 3 days on the road from them, they were almost gone by the time they got here.

6. jbswm009

jbswm009 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    I ordered 30 chicks from welp and received 33 healthy chicks. Welp is professional, easy, and reliable. I think they would be a great source for broilers. HOWEVER (bc you are so interested in rare breeds) the quality of their birds (conformation-wise) is very poor. I honestly dont even consider the sebrights i got from them sebrights. It all depends on what you are getting them for. Jordy

7. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I ordered from Welp this year and I have NO complaints. Their customers service is excellent too! We ordered 51 chicks and only lost 2, which we figured we pretty good. Not sure about packing peanuts though since we ordered so many to begin with.

8. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Did any of you who have ordered from welp recieve packing peanuts?

vortec

9. jbswm009

jbswm009 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    no packing peanuts

10. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:Our chicks (ordered from Welp) were drop shipped from Privett. This actually worked out for us, since we live in CA and Privett is in New Mexico (Welp is in Iowa). I think they usually use Privett.

Quote:No packing peanuts for us...we ordered 51, so they were toasty on their own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by