Welp- Red Rangers or black broilers?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by erinchelsea, Jan 23, 2012.

1. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    http://www.welphatchery.com/other-meat/red-ranger.asp

We did a batch of 50 Cornish Rock cross last year, learned a lot about meaties and ended up with a freezer full of delicious chicken. [​IMG] This year our plan is to try 25 each of CRX, the Red Ranger, and the Black Broiler from Welp and see how we like them. Anyone had any experience with these? Looks like the RR will eat less feed (2 lbs less total per bird on average) but take 4 weeks longer to finish.

We're also going to try to free range this year (lock them up at night) rather than use the tractors and moving them 2x a day, we couldn't believe how fast they mowed the grass down and made a mess with their poop, and we actually had bigger tractors than the Salatin style. [​IMG] I'm excited to see how they do!

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I believe the red rangers are something fairly new to Welp. We are thinking of trying some, but haven't done so yet. Let us know how it goes!

3. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    I'll try to keep track of the weight stats and take some pics. It will be impossible to tell what breed is eating how much feed if they are all penned together, unfortunately.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by