1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Welp Slow Broilers?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by fullhouse, Jul 25, 2008.

1. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    I have an assortment of the white slow, red and black coming. Can anyone experienced with them tell me at what age you butchered them?

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    When ever they weigh what you want them to. These are slower growing, so i would expect 7 weeks would get you 5 lbs for a fryer and 12 weeks for a roaster, but just weigh them, you want 5-6 lbs for a fryer and anythinf over eight for a roaster.

3. fullhouse

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Thank you. We use a processor and I have to book a spot basically before the chicks get in. I'll book for 10 weeks and cross my fingers [​IMG]

4. Baybrio

Baybrio Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Poplar Grove, IL
    Andrea,

If you can wait a bit longer to make the appointment I'll try and get a few recent pictures of my white slow cornish, the red broilers and the regular cornish x's I got from Welp on June 21st.

I'll say first that I'm very happy with all my birds and had a perfect experience ordering from Welp.

The slow white and red broilers are much smaller than the cornish x's (of course) I don't think mine will be ready at 10 weeks. Mine may be growing more slowly than yours will, because I have them with the cornish x's and I take the food away at night.

I'm very happy with my slow cornish and red broilers. They are more active, but still have the wide shoulder shape of the cornish x's.

Of course I'm also happy with the cornish x's, they are doing just what they were bred to do, although I don't think I'll raise them again. The extremely fast growth is so stressful for them I'm just not comfortable raising them.

5. fullhouse

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Quote:I would love to see pictures if you get a chance!

6. Baybrio

Jun 11, 2008
    Poplar Grove, IL
    Here are a couple of photos of my cornish x, slow white and red broilers from Welp hatchery. They are 5 weeks old in these photos.

You can see how much larger the cornish x are at this point. They all have access to shelter and a yard that is about maybe 40' by 40'. The slow white and the red broilers range more than the cornish x. I take the food away at night.

I'm sending the cornish x to be processed in about 10 days. I'm not sure how long I'll wait for the others. I plan on leaving the food out 24/7 after the cornish x's are gone.

As you can see from the last photo these chicks have very pleasant temperaments!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lydia

7. fullhouse

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    I just saw this. Thank you very much!!![​IMG]

8. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    I had just been wondering about these birds today. I have 20 cornish x from Welp, and while they are doing what they are supposed to, I don't think I want to raise this kind of meat bird again. Glad to see the difference side by side so to speak. I have time to let them grow, so I think next time I will try the different broilers. Welp had some trouble with shipping on the date I orderded but they were very good and called me several times to make sure I was aware and to see if I wanted to wait, or change my order. With shipping included, it is a great deal.

9. Baybrio

Jun 11, 2008
    Poplar Grove, IL
    Quote:MaineChickens, I agree with you completely about the cornish x's. When I do another batch of meat birds I'm going to go with Welp's slow cornish and red broilers again. They have the shape of the cornish x's without the crazy fast growth. I'm glad I tried the three types together, its giving me a very easy way to decide which type I enjoy raising.

I also agree that the Welp birds are a good value. The JM Hatchery birds look great but they are a bit more expensive if you only raise a few at a time.

10. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Hi
    I'm getting 20 of the Slow White birds at the end of this week from Welp.
    I'm just wondering how they turned out for you and how they tasted?

and how many days did take from the time they were shipped to you to you.?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by