Welps (almost like wasp stings) on and around face and neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HappeHank, Oct 5, 2013.

1. HappeHank

HappeHank Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2013
    Melrose, Fl
    This evening I noticed one of my hens was separating herself from the flock and sitting very still. Right under her beak was a swollen spot and around it near her waddles were also swollen. I checked her crop and it seemed empty not as usual because she normally eats like crazy. Feeling around a bit more i noticed two more spots as if she got stung around her crop area. Normally she doesn't like to be held but she allowed me to poke around quite a bit. She also had some mucus coming out of her nose. Help!!!! I love all my girls and need some advice.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would look around for any fire ants or other insects and get rid of them. Some have used a 1/4 or 1/2 dose of children's benadryl, but I would be careful with medications.

3. HappeHank

Jul 19, 2013
    Melrose, Fl
    I noticed a wasp nest in a bush near where they like to lay. I'll have my husband spray. She is drinking but she seems like she is in pain, no where near as lively as she normally is.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You could give her 1/2-1 baby aspirin twice a day for the pain.

5. HappeHank

Jul 19, 2013
    Melrose, Fl
    I gave her some. Poor baby. I hate swing her like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by