Welsh Harelquin experts---Do I have a gold or silver phase drake?

Nebraskagirl

Songster
7 Years
Jul 12, 2012
I have read and re-read the distinction between the silver and gold phase Welsh Harlequin drake and I still cannot tell if Teddy, who is 4 1/2 months old, is a gold or silver phase! His colored feathers on the side look green and then change to all different shades depending on the light. He does have a greenish looking head and the feathers on his tail are a deep chocolate color. Here are some photos to help:

I am not an welsh expert. We are new to the welsh, however I was told that if the dark feathers appear to be a dark chocolate color they are golden. With that said, the golden can and will hatch silver. If it were silver and the desired color was golden, they are less likely to hatch golden. So, if you are wanting standard welsh, you could have them in your drakes offspring even if he is golden. Also, welsh take a few years before they are in there actual color phase. That is why it is better to buy over two year old, laying welsh.

If you find any helpful info regarding them, please pass it on. Thank you

I am not an welsh expert. We are new to the welsh, however I was told that if the dark feathers appear to be a dark chocolate color they are golden. With that said, the golden can and will hatch silver. If it were silver and the desired color was golden, they are less likely to hatch golden. So, if you are wanting standard welsh, you could have them in your drakes offspring even if he is golden. Also, welsh take a few years before they are in there actual color phase. That is why it is better to buy over two year old, laying welsh.

If you find any helpful info regarding them, please pass it on. Thank you

I have read the color specifics on golden versus silver and I still cannot decide which he is. I believe him to be golden, but then again, I don't know. Ha! His sister is a golden and his mother is a golden (I know there can be both varieties in each hatch.) Hmmmm//

Have you read the APA standard for the welsh because that is pretty specific. I know the Internet descriptions are confusing. He is a pretty drake no matter what color. I cannot tell if his darkest feathers are grayish-black and greenish-black or dark chocolate. The silver will have the first two, not any chocolate color. Did is mother already molt? What did she look like before and after molt? Just curious. Do you want him to be golden or silver? We just bought a trio, I believe they are golden. We did not care, but hope to hatch some silver.

Are your welsh really friendly? Are ducks will walk right up to you, but get shy when you reach for them. However, the drake is more stand-offish. He will socialize from a distance. We really like them. We have them, mallards, khaki Campbell's, and some khaki-mallard mixes.

Have you read the APA standard for the welsh because that is pretty specific. I know the Internet descriptions are confusing. He is a pretty drake no matter what color. I cannot tell if his darkest feathers are grayish-black and greenish-black or dark chocolate. The silver will have the first two, not any chocolate color. Did is mother already molt? What did she look like before and after molt? Just curious. Do you want him to be golden or silver? We just bought a trio, I believe they are golden. We did not care, but hope to hatch some silver.

Are your welsh really friendly? Are ducks will walk right up to you, but get shy when you reach for them. However, the drake is more stand-offish. He will socialize from a distance. We really like them. We have them, mallards, khaki Campbell's, and some khaki-mallard mixes.

Yes, I did finally find it and read it. His tail feathers on the tips are a DARK chocolate; almost black but in the light you can tell they are chocolate. He has grey though, which is throwing me off. His mother is a golden as well as his sister. I was hoping for a golden male because they are the "original" color of Welsh Harlequins and I just don't see them a lot around here :) Our drake is more friendly than the girls. He is easy going and doesn't get excited about anything, except when he can't find his flock....which happens at least twice a day...lol. I LOVE khaki campbells as well. My favorite drake was a KC and he was awesome, but the hawk also thought he was awesome too unfortunately.

Oh, I am sorry to hear about your khaki drake :( we have not seen any hawks, but there pen is under trees, so maybe the hawks do not see them. I cannot believe that a hawk could lift a khaki, I did not realize they were capable of that. I thought maybe a mallard size, but I thought khakis and up were safe. I guess we should not let them free range when we are not outside.

Our drakes seem to always be the least friendly. Strange.

Our welsh drake is molting otherwise I would use him as comparison. I will go peek at him just in case and see if I see anything that might help.

Oh, I am sorry to hear about your khaki drake
sad.png
we have not seen any hawks, but there pen is under trees, so maybe the hawks do not see them. I cannot believe that a hawk could lift a khaki, I did not realize they were capable of that. I thought maybe a mallard size, but I thought khakis and up were safe. I guess we should not let them free range when we are not outside.

Our drakes seem to always be the least friendly. Strange.

Our welsh drake is molting otherwise I would use him as comparison. I will go peek at him just in case and see if I see anything that might help.

Hey thanks! Our Khaki drake was lifted, but the hawk dropped him. It was awful to have experienced. His neck was snapped. I think I leaning toward him being a golden....but I still am not sure. The females are easy for me to tell, but for some reason I have a hard time distinguishing the drakes.

I looked at him and he currently does not have any dark feathers except chocolate color. His head is even a lighter green-brown, so he is not going to be any help. When he becomes vibrant again, I will check him out. Do you happen to know how long he might be in molt? Because he has been like this since July and still no change. We got him during the beginning stages of molt, but the seller had shown me pictures of him before. I wish I would have saved them :(
Anyhow, good luck with your golden flock.

I took some pictures of him, sorry it took so long. If you notice he only has golden-chocolate colors. Don't forget he is molting. But you kinda get an idea. Can you post pictures of your golden ducks?

Oh, mine is silver, I know it. He has a LOT more grey and black than yours. Your guy is very pretty, I love the coloring. Guess I have two golden females and a silver drake, which is fine by me. I just want them to be healthy :)

Back
Top Bottom