Welsh Harlequin and Indian Runner crosses

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Featherland, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Does anyone have Welsh Harlequin and Fawn and White Indian Runners crosses? I am trying to decide which ducks to keep and am wondering what this cross would look like. If you have pics it would be extremely helpful.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Due to the differences in genetics of the two birds- there is a variety of possible outcomes from the cross...

I would also be interested to see pics if anyone has any - due to the fact that I am currently breeding Indian Runners in the Harlequin colour.

3. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    It depends on whether or not the Welsh Harlequin is a Gold or Silver and which is the male or female.

4. HiddenHill Heretic

HiddenHill Heretic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Santa Cruz, Caliphas
    Though I have both 10 or so Welshies and a pair of fawn and white runners, They have not yet mated. I do have some Fawn and white Runner duck crossed with Rouen drake ducks... check it out.. I also would like to see the WH x Runner cross.

[​IMG]

5. HiddenHill Heretic

HiddenHill Heretic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Santa Cruz, Caliphas
    Oh Sorry. The mix ducks are the three in the center with the white collar. Upright with a keel, quite interesting body form. The drakes are showing their Rouen size at 15 weeks. The ducks are larger and more active than most of my other Metzer ducks.

6. CityChicker

Mar 21, 2009
    Those are pretty! I love that color.

Featherland- In your cross, you will end up with basically Pied Blue Duskies or Pied Cinnamons depending on the question that I asked about which parent would be which and whether or not the WH are Gold or Silver. I can give you more detail when I know that. In the second generation though, you could have several potential colors that will occur. Again though, a lot depends on the brown dilution which the Fawn and White definitely would have and the WH would have if Gold. What is for sure though is that all the babies will be dusky based and the first generation will have one Runner pattern gene, and have one Blue dilution gene.

7. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    The Welsh Harlequin I believe is a drake. It is only 7 weeks old now. The color is white and black with some brown. The wings are getting a pretty blue/ bluegreen on them. I don't have previous experience with them so don't know if it is a gold or silver. Can you tell?
    Here is a link to a picture I posted last week.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=351692&p=3

I know what pied is, so all the babies in the first generation would be pied?

What is dusky?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  8. CityChicker

Mar 21, 2009
    -

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by