1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Welsh Harlequin Behavior

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 1ADAM12, Mar 6, 2017.

1. 1ADAM12

1ADAM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2016
    [​IMG]

Ok as you can see by the picture the two females are acting odd to me. Shouldn't the Drake be on top? The female on the bottom went all submissive and flattened her back and let the other one jump on.

The ducks are not quite a year old and they both just started laying eggs. I am guessing they are reaching maturity? Sorry for the dumb questions. This is our first experience with ducks.

Thanks,
    Adam

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    This is very common normal behavior with females they will play act the mating just as if one is a drake. Nothing to worry about @1ADAM12

3. 1ADAM12

Jun 18, 2016
    Yeah I thought she was confused lol pulling at the back of her head and everything. The drake does not seem to be interested in mating yet.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I have seen my girls do this with the drake standing right next to the pool or even in the pool with them. They can get pretty nutty this time of year. lol

5. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

My five ducks are all female and the Welshie plays "hop on top" with the Buffs all the time. Always Welshie on the top, too, though occasionally it's Buff on Buff. They started doing it around 3 or 4 months old. All five of them seemed to get very excited, even the ones not "involved," with lots of happy vocalizing and head bobbing anytime any of them start. Always in the pool and both parties always take a bath afterward. Silly ducks!

I'm working on getting them a "boyfriend" to join their activities. We will have to see if Welshie will submit to him, or if she will still insist on being the one on top! ;)

I just posted this video of my silly ducks in the Duck Video thread, but since there's some "girl on girl" towards the middle, I'll post it again:

[VIDEO]

6. 1ADAM12

Jun 18, 2016
    I love the video. Thanks for sharing!

7. 1ADAM12

Jun 18, 2016
    Ok another question. My drake has gotten a bit too frisky with the girls and has not torn both of their eyes open to the point of bleeding. I am not sure the one hen will get her vision back in the one eye. Is it time to get rid of the drake? He just seems to be too aggressive for the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by