Welsh Harlequin Breeding Flock - price?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NellaBean, Aug 9, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I have 3 ducks and 1 drake, Welsh Harlequins from Metzers. Got them in May, so they are right at 3 months old. Definitely just the 1 drake. So they will be a nice little Breeding Flock. I had never had ducks before and am not a huge fan so far......decided to sell them. What would you ask for them? I haven't the slightest idea what their value is. I guessed probably $10-20 each as a group. I saw someone else locally selling a pair for $45.

Any idea?

2. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    It depends on the demand where you are.

Here where I am, being that they're from Metzer and not a private breeder (or Holderreads), I'd expect to pay around $50 for the quad (or, $15 for each duck, and $5 for the drake). [​IMG]

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have sold pairs for $20 easy. for a quad of course it would be more but it would totally depend on your local market.

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    No pics?

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I second Annarie. I would expect to pay $10-15 per adult female, and $5-10 for the drake.

However, the long answer is that what you can get for them will depend on your market. I have some Holderread drakes that I have had a hard time getting $5 for. Granted, they do not come with females, so that's a big differentiator. What you have is a complete breeding set-up, and to the right buyer that's worth quite a lot. But whether your right buyer is out there and ready... hard to say.

Good luck!!

6. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Pictures! I don't have any that are too terribly recent. These are from a month ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the drake enjoying himself.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  8. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    Too bad you're not in MI - I'd LOVE them! I hatched out three hens and no drakes earlier this year - I could really use a drake!

9. HiddenHill Heretic

HiddenHill Heretic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Santa Cruz, Caliphas
    I get $30 a bird @ 16 weeks old. Not yet laying, but, I am in coastal CA. Not too much competition, hard to fingd juvenile ducks. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by