Welsh Harlequin Duck isn't setting

violets812

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 6, 2012
Hi,

I am now confining my pair of ducks to their 8 x 10 "duck area". We have a 6' wood fence and the top of the duck area has a wire screen on top because of cats. She sets during the night but then doesn't during the day. She has 18 - 20 eggs and has done a lot of work on the nest. I had been letting them out into our large yard and but I'm hoping that by being so close to the nest, she'll start setting. My question is since this is their first year as adults, could it just be a young duck thing? I mean, do you think she's young and will have more of a chance to set full time next year? Will she continue to lay eggs in that nest ~ will she end up having a nest with 50 eggs? LOL I had read that they were good at brooding. Do you think she might "get it" later in this season? I guess I'm just hoping that this is a one time thing and she will set better as time goes by? Thank you for any help on this!

Hi,

I am now confining my pair of ducks to their 8 x 10 "duck area". We have a 6' wood fence and the top of the duck area has a wire screen on top because of cats. She sets during the night but then doesn't during the day. She has 18 - 20 eggs and has done a lot of work on the nest. I had been letting them out into our large yard and but I'm hoping that by being so close to the nest, she'll start setting. My question is since this is their first year as adults, could it just be a young duck thing? I mean, do you think she's young and will have more of a chance to set full time next year? Will she continue to lay eggs in that nest ~ will she end up having a nest with 50 eggs? LOL I had read that they were good at brooding. Do you think she might "get it" later in this season? I guess I'm just hoping that this is a one time thing and she will set better as time goes by? Thank you for any help on this!

give her a little longer.
usually they start by just sitting on them at night which is when it is the coldest.
then they will start sitting on them full time.
sounds like she just isnt ready to sit yet, she will when she is ready

btw
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom