1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Welsh Harlequin Ducklings...supposed to be 3 females, but i'm concerned that 2 are males

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Laura, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Laura

Laura Hatching

Jun 5, 2008
    Hi everyone,
    I have had chickens for 7 years now, but am brand new to ducks. We ordered 3 Welsh Harlequin females from Metzer. Hatch date is Aug 11, 2014, arrived at our house 3 days later. They all 3 have looked pretty different from each other from the get go. In the pic below, left to right, Daisy, Rose (in the back), and Buttercup.
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    Now that they are over 3 weeks old, one for sure (Daisy), and maybe another one (Rose), has started developing a dark head. Daisy in particular has a dark head with a distinct line around the neck where the dark color ends and it switches to light colored. Here are Buttercup who is female I think (front) and Rose who maybe is male but maybe female (back):
    [​IMG]
    And here is Daisy, the one that seems most likely male:
    [​IMG]
    We really only wanted females for eggs. I can handle one male, but two?! If anyone has any input, it is greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks so much,
    Laura

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners 8 Years

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Who is quacking?

3. Laura

Laura Hatching

Jun 5, 2008
    The only thing I hear from them is the peeping sound that they've made from the beginning. Today, when they were alarmed, one of them (Rose) made a sort of honking sound. Other than that it's just peep peep peep.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners 8 Years

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My girls started honking, then got more of an Ah Ah Ah sound - rarely do they actually quack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: