Welsh Harlequin Ducklings

slkyldy4evr

Chirping
Dec 29, 2016
America
So I ordered two welsh harlequin ducks (just for eggs, I don't kill pets) and they will be a day old when they get here, I'm wondering how old they need to be before I put them in the coop with my chickens, and how to introduce them. Any help would be appreciated!

My ducklings (harlequins and runners) did well in a mixed flock. That being said, I did not introduce the chickens to the ducklings until the were well feathered. Also, depending on how aggressive your roo and hens are will determine how well this will work.

After the pecking order was established we had very few problems. We also had a bantam hen that hatched out one of the ducklings. It was quite funny watching the hen try to teach the duckling to be a chicken.

My ducklings (harlequins and runners) did well in a mixed flock. That being said, I did not introduce the chickens to the ducklings until the were well feathered. Also, depending on how aggressive your roo and hens are will determine how well this will work.

After the pecking order was established we had very few problems. We also had a bantam hen that hatched out one of the ducklings. It was quite funny watching the hen try to teach the duckling to be a chicken.

Thank you
All of my chickens are silkies so the ducks will be bigger than them, should that be a problem?

I'm not super familiar with silkies but I've always heard they're pretty docile (not sure if it's true or not). I'm sure you'll be good. They'll still need to develop the pecking order. Just keep a close eye on them and make sure no one is getting bullied and I think you'll be good. My ducks were definitely at the bottom. They never fought back and the roo we had didn't take advantage of that.

I had Chicks and Ducklings brooding in my coop in two separate pens...They hated each other...My Ducklings wanted to get the Chicks....To this day my Ducks hate the Chickens and chase them if one gets over the dividing fence...I have a Welsh Duck...All you can do is try to see how they make out......?.....I know it can work, just not with my Birds......

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom