Welsh Harlequin Ducks **pics added**

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chknman79, May 21, 2007.

1. chknman79

chknman79 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2007
    Crossville,TN
    Anybody know anything about them? I bought my wife 2 welsh harlequins and 2 Khaki Campbells this weekend and I read that the campbells don't "need" a pond and can't fly very well, are the welsh's the same? We have a pond connecting to our place so it is not a huge problem if they need one but just wondering. They all are cute. We will post pics after work this evening.

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  2. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    Congrats! Welsh Harlequins are GORGEOUS! and Khakis are as well. THey would all ove a pond to play in and I gurantee you that you will get as much enjoyment at their joyful splashing and playing. Watching ducks in a pond is a great way to waste an afternoon. And you will feel so good, guilt at those chores you were supposed to do will never bother you. [​IMG]

3. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Do not require water for swimming to stay health, but they enjoy it. Prefer shallow trays or even a washing up bowl with a brick in it . . no brick produces a tortoise with webbed feet hybrid very funny but also Very messy!

Welsh Harlequin Ducks are quite active foragers but pretty laid back characters.They are bred from 2 sorts of Khaki Campbell stock, so they are like them alot. They don't fly very well, but I have found them to be a nervous breed.

I don't know if you are planning on breeding them down the road, but I have learned that Khaki Campbells should be Kept as trio or more, they unsuitable as a pair in Khaki due to the energy of the drakes. Most won't go broody though.Welsh Harlequin Ducks will go broody and hatch out some babies.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2007
  4. backyard redneck

backyard redneck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2007
    Last edited: May 22, 2007
  5. chknman79

Apr 25, 2007
    Crossville,TN
    Thank yall so much. I am going to get pics up as soon as I can. We've been so busy round here with church, family, school and everything that I don't know if I'm coming or going. Should have pics up after while. Thanks again. You guys (and gals) are awesome.

6. chknman79

Apr 25, 2007
    Crossville,TN
    Here are our ducklings taking a little swim in the tub.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. chknman79

Apr 25, 2007
    Crossville,TN
    Well, what do you think?

8. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Awww....they are adorable!!! I miss my babies at that age!![​IMG]