Welsh Harlequin experts - Color question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Wifezilla, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My little girl Abby Cadabby is REALLY REALLY dark!
    Abby

See what I mean?

This is her sister Prairie Dawn in front.
    Prairie Dawn

The three WH I raised from a baby all looked pretty much like Prairie Dawn.

So how did she get to be so dark? Her dad is a Holderread's Drake. Mom is either a Holderread's gold hen, a Metzer gold hen or a Metzer silver hen.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Did they all look the same as ducklings?

3. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    I don't have anything constructive to say, but Prairie Dawn is gorgeous! [​IMG]

4. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    -

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  5. Javamama

Javamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    USA
    I have one exactly like that too Wife! If she wasn't so noisy I would think she's a he. I'm trying to learn more about the coloring especially since I have such a wide range in mine.
    City, is there a way to explain this- m+/m^d - in layman's terms? I would love to know more. And what is harlequin phase dusky? I see that term alot but I need more description or a photo to make the connection in my brain. Is there a genetics for dummies book or website [​IMG] It's fascinating.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  6. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    So it is most likely that the mom is Wendy...my Metzer hen with eye stripes?
    Wendy
    She is the one in front with her bill stuck in the dirt. You can also see the other mom candidates. Shelley on the left (Metzer Silver) and Lexus behind Wendy (Holdderead's gold).

And here is another pic of the sisters just because they are so stinking cute [​IMG]
    Abby & Dawn

Also, the young gold drake in the back is TJ. He was from the batch my broody runner hatched. Any guesses as to which of the girls is his mom?
    Tweak Junior (TJ)

If she wasn't so noisy I would think she's a he.

We THOUGH she was a he. That ducks original name was Oscar! But like your duck, there is no doubt this mouthy thing is a girl now! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  7. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    -

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  8. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    One of your other Metzer WH obviously carries pied (Runner pattern or R/R). I will have to go back and look through your other posts to find which one, but I am guessing it must be Shelley. It is the one that shows the clear line of demarcation on the breast where it goes from spotted to white

Yeah, it is Shelley that is the most white (aside from Prairie Dawn) and has that clear line between the white and the speckling.

I am also guessing that Prairie Dawn is most likely Shelley's daughter. Not only because of the color, but because of personality/intelligence. Shelley is the only one of the adult ducks that ever figured out ramps. Out of the babies (including the ones I sold) Prairie Dawn is the only one who figured them out too! [​IMG] She also seems very "aware" just like Shelley. With the other ducks you wonder if there is anything going on in that fluffy little skull [​IMG]

Understanding the genetics involved requires a basic knowledge of genetics (which really isn't that difficult once you study it a little)

Are you kidding?? I had to wrap duct tape around my head while reading your post to keep my head from exploding!​

9. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    Quote:Too funny! But the same goes with me. I think the genetics is so interesting, I just wish I could wrap my head around the logic!

10. Javamama

Javamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    USA
    I think I'll have to track down some books that have pictures to really get it [​IMG] Thanks for explaining. I kinda learned something. I think [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by