Welsh Harlequin Gender Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BrownDucks, Oct 26, 2015.

1. BrownDucks

BrownDucks Hatching

Oct 26, 2015
    [​IMG]

We ordered four sexed welsh harlequins (females) from Metzer Farms. They are a little over five months old now. Two looked very similar once they began to get their feathers - both had fairly dark heads and markings. One has continued to get lighter, but this one has gotten darker and darker. Does this look like a male or a female to you, or could the difference at this age still be unclear?

Thanks so much!

2. kristy2122

kristy2122 In the Brooder

Aug 9, 2014
    Looks a lot like my WH drake Donald

3. Turnix

Turnix In the Brooder

Aug 22, 2015
    East Texas
    I think you most likely have a hen. By this age, the drake's bill usually starts to turn olive green.

Does it quack?

4. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Looks like a young golden phase (welsh harlequin) male to me, one of my males didn't get his green beak until he was fully mature

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  5. BrownDucks

BrownDucks Hatching

Oct 26, 2015
    Interesting. Thanks for the input! "Her" beak actually seems slightly greenish at the tip. I thought she used to quack, but we had her in a big group of other ducks, and she does seem to be making a different sound than the other ladies (but also different from my male Golden 300) I suppose I should pick her up tomorrow and see what sound she makes!

6. jducour

jducour Songster

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    That tail looks like it wants to curl. I am really interested to see what you think when you pick her up tomorrow. I am looking at that band on her leg - is it really tight? It should be removed as soon as possible if you can, they can cause circulation problems if they are too tight - and worse if it is restricting blood supply.

Girl or boy, that is one gorgeous duck! [​IMG]

7. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Sorry if my post was confusing, I meant to say golden phase welsh harlequin [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by