Welsh harlequin Gender?

MillersFarm

Easily distracted by Chickens
5 Years
Jun 3, 2016
Lewiston NY
Man, i'm posting like crazy today but i'm feeling really uncertain here. I bought two Female welsh harlequin ducks (One didn't make it) And now i'm thinking the other is a drake! :barnie I have a picture of it. I've noticed that she/he has a very dark head like a drake's BUT... she/he quakes... I'll try to get a video of him quaking but she doesn't quake As much as the others.. Any thoughts?
IMG_9237.JPG

??

Man, i'm posting like crazy today but i'm feeling really uncertain here. I bought two Female welsh harlequin ducks (One didn't make it) And now i'm thinking the other is a drake! :barnie I have a picture of it. I've noticed that she/he has a very dark head like a drake's BUT... she/he quakes... I'll try to get a video of him quaking but she doesn't quake As much as the others.. Any thoughts?
View attachment 1132133

??
Female

Thanks a ton. I was very unsure because i kept seeing all these pics of young welshes and almost all of them didn't have that dark of a head!

Not until they are in Nuptial plumage. This duck is still in her juvenile plumage. If it was a male, it would not get it's green head until 15-17 weeks of age.
Thanks for the info. I think i'm set on female then. ;)

Only females can Quack males make a peep peep for at least two weeks longer and then say Blaart in a raspy voice If she quacks she is female

While we are playing Name That Gender, can anyone opine on whether I indeed have all female Welsh Harlequins? They all quack as far as I can tell. They are 22 weeks. No eggs yet.

From left to right, meet Flipper, Butch and Ms. Feisty Girl in the back and Nipper in the front. Any opinion on silver or gold phase? Thanks for your help!
IMG_2349.JPG

Back
Top Bottom