Welsh Harlequin Having Seziures

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cheyenne D, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Cheyenne D

Cheyenne D Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    I have five ducks (2 black swedish, and 3 welsh harlequins, all female) one of my welsh harlequins is haveing seziures. she will be walking around like normal and then run and fall on her back or side. when she falls she sticks her wings out and they apper to go into paralysis. when this happens it looks like she is dead or unconsious. She will lay there on her side or back for a minute or two and the brings her head up like she is regaining consiousness. she will then get up on her feet and stumble a little but after that she behaves like normal. she is eating and drinking like normal as well. i just noticed this behavior this morning. however throughout the past few weeks i noticed she would have what looked like muscle spasms in her leg. it did not seem serious and she would just ignore it and continue with whatever she was doing. she is around 40 days old and she is the only one out of the five that shows this behavior. have any idea what could be wrong with her or what i should do? please let me know.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Is she crested? Where did you get her from?

3. Cheyenne D

Jul 23, 2012
    she is not crested, she is from metzers.

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    could she be eatting mushrooms or something else toxic to her?

how long has this been going on?

5. Cheyenne D

Jul 23, 2012
    The major seizures started this morning but they seem to have stopped, she is perfectly fine now (knock on wood!) Im guessing she ate something bad because the duck run is in an area were there tends to be alot of mushrooms/other fungus.

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Hopefully it was just a freak thing. If the problem persists this evening or in the morning you might want to consider flushing her system for any toxins.

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Try and make a habit of clearing the fungus (mushrooms) and bagging them to the trash. They can get a toxic build up if enough are eaten, no need to tempt fate and need to do a flush to save a duck in the future. We have to walk the oak trees after good rains about 2 days later we get mushroom sprouts. Toss them into a plastic shopping bag and into the trash they go.

8. Cheyenne D

Jul 23, 2012
    from what i have seen the last seziure she had was last night, not nearly as bad only lasted a few seconds. i didnt see anything this morning :) so i think shes getting better

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by