Welsh harlequin just started laying, this is my first time having ducks lay

StevieRose

Hatching
Oct 7, 2015
Omak washington
Hello I've had my first three ducks for about 6 months a male runner, and a male Swedish blue, and my female welsh harlequin. And a couple months after I got them I got more ducklings, 6 more, 2 cayuga, 2 Rouen, and 2 more runners and they turned out to be a boy and girl of each kind. But that's my little duck family for ya. Anyways I finally started getting eggs and I'm sure it's harlequin my oldest. She laid her first egg on October 2nd and this morning laid her 4th one. It is much bigger than the first three and has 2 yokes. I want to try and hatch all the eggs i read up a good amount of info but advice is nice. I know it is low success of hatching a double yoker but I will try my darnedest I love my ducks and there little babies to be. I had my uncle help me make an incubator for them I've read to let them sit until you have more eggs before putting them in the incubator. How many more do I wait for?

Last edited:
You may want to think about adding more females to your flock or getting rid of some of the drakes. You have 5 drakes and only 4 ducks. When they are all sexually mature your girls may be in for a tough time. The minimum recommendation is 3 ducks for every drake.

You may want to think about adding more females to your flock or getting rid of some of the drakes. You have 5 drakes and only 4 ducks. When they are all sexually mature your girls may be in for a tough time. The minimum recommendation is 3 ducks for every drake.
I agree - I have two drakes and 6 ducks, and it is barely enough for them. Drakes are very rough with their mates, I can't imagine how awful it would be if the female ducks were outnumbered.

I agree - I have two drakes and 6 ducks, and it is barely enough for them.  Drakes are very rough with their mates, I can't imagine how awful it would be if the female ducks were outnumbered. 

Oh I definitely will they haven't been too rough that I've seen but I am working on building another pin to split them up will just makes be okay together? I would hate to et rid of any so maybe I will have to add a few more females. I usually let them run free in the yard and put them up at night but they have been getting into the neighbors yard and wandering off. I'm so glad I found this site. Thank you

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom