Welsh Harlequin Questions

Theeggboxtoo

Songster
9 Years
Oct 5, 2010
Alabama
I love the way this breed looks, I think I am going to order 2 ducks and a drake, but I would like more info first.
1. Do they go broody often?
2. Do Metzer farms lines lay well?
3. Can a Welsh Harlequin drake mate with a mallard female without hurting her?
4. Are they nice?
5. Is Metzer farms the best place to get them?
6. Do they fly?

Post Pics Please!
smile.png

I love the way this breed looks, I think I am going to order 2 ducks and a drake, but I would like more info first.
1. Do they go broody often? Not good to let them go broody till about 3 years old. I was told that they haven't built up enough body weight...
2. Do Metzer farms lines lay well? I had a trio but lost one.. the remaining female lays like clock work from Oct. to first of august. takes break and starts back up. she is two..
3. Can a Welsh Harlequin drake mate with a mallard female without hurting her? not sure about this one.
4. Are they nice? mine are nice.. they eat from my hand.
5. Is Metzer farms the best place to get them? Holderreads has the best lines but they aren't shipping right now.. Metzers is shipping and you can order as few as 2.
6. Do they fly? just a little ways off the ground.. too much junk in the trunk.. LOL.

I will have Welsh harlequin ducklings hatching out aroud the first of August ( parents are from metzers).

I have two little females from Metzer's. They are beautiful! They are very different in their looks - which makes them so interesting to me.
I have both ducks and geese from John Metzer and they are all lovely and very healthy. In three years of dealing with Metzer's I've had no problems and just love their birds and the attitude and service is over the top great!

joni

A Welsh Harlequin drake can mate a Mallard without difficulty. Do make sure you have enough females to keep him busy though, the Mallard is the same species, but quite a bit smaller.

Mine went broody, but only once over several years, she was successful and a good mother.

Wonderful sweet ducks, I recommend them highly.

They are wonderful ducks! They're inquisative and once used to being handled are really sweet. I would THINK it would be ok for them to mate with a mallard but I wouldn't know for sure. I have just gotten a female from a lady (She bought them from Metzers) and she lays really well. Every other day at most, but she is molting right now. I don't think they're very broody ducks and their eggs taste really good <3. I absolutely adore mine and would advise them to almost everyone that wants ducks.

I think all questions were answered like I would except for the mating with a mallard hen.

Why would you want to? Mallards are a much smaller (bantam) variety of duck, the WH is a medium-heavy breed.

I personally would just get WH hens and a drake and leave out the mallard (that is unless you already own one?)

Back
Top Bottom