1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Welsh Harlequin Standard Weight

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by adubsroit, Nov 9, 2010.

1. adubsroit

adubsroit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Googled everything I could and figured when in doubt BYC it!! [​IMG]

I'm sure someone out there can tell me what the heck the standard weight for a young Welsh Harlequin drake is. For that matter: what are the weights of young females; drakes; hens?

My boyfriend and I are trying to figure out a line-up for the Chehalis show in Washington this coming December and are sort of interested in taking our Welsh drake. By the time the show roles around he will be 4 months, would he be old enough then?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Average weight is 5- 6 ponds or 2.5 kg for the duck and 3 kg for the drake.

16 weeks or so is young for showing ducks - He may not have his final set of adult plumage feathers by then and still have some filling out to do.

3. The Holderread bulletin on WH, which I believe is using the APA standard, says aduld drakes should be 5.5 to 6 lbs.

4. adubsroit

Apr 9, 2010
    Isn't 6 pounds for a young male a little on the heavy side? Looking to other light breed ducks for ideal weight: a young Khaki Campbell drake should weight 4 lbs; young Magpie drake should be 4.5 lbs.

Lol, this is more difficult than I thought. Everything out there gives "average" weights for the breed and a lot of it comes from the British Standard. Anyone got info on the American Standard for Welsh Harlequins?

5. Ok, looked again at the bulleton, it says a young drake should be 5 to 5.5 lbs.
    Sorry, didn't realize there was a separate standard for the young ones so I didn't even read further. [​IMG]

6. adubsroit

Apr 9, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] Thanks!! Where are these bulletins on Holderread's site? I found what seemed to be them under literature but it was just a list of what was available for purchase. Is that the only way to go about acquiring one

Also, are ducks the same as chicken in terms of there being a 20% allowed weight deviation up or down? I know a more standard weight bird would do better regardless but I'm really hoping to be able to get our drake acclimated to the nature of being shown and such.

7. Sorry, I don't know anything about the weight deviations. I had to send for Holderread's bulletin (snail mail with a check), it seems they still do most things the old way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by