Welsh harlequin woes

harlequinhouse

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
My girls are lonely, and though I've looked every where I can think of, (I even posted ads on Craiglist) I can not find them a drake anywhere locally. The girls are a year old, so I really don't want to mail order if at all possible. I was wondering how bad would it be to pair them with a Khaki Cambell drake? As they are a color variation of the Khaki Cambells anyway, I'm wondering if that is a way to go. I've located someone who could part with KC drake, but I'm worried because if I ever do find a WH drake, I would want to try for ducklings... I guess what I'm asking is if I settle for a KC, am I setting myself up for trouble later?

The KC drake would be a little bit smaller than a WH drake. Since the females are smaller than males. A KC drake would not be as hard on them during mating. Just a thought.

You would have super cute mixed ducklings until what time you are able to get the matching drake for your welsh's. I never set out to keep a breed solo. I'm always wondering what can mingle with what to give me who...

Moose Manor is about a three and a half hour drive, though it is a hike, it definitely is a lead. I've already begun talking it over with hubby. The thought of the KC being a smaller duck is one that hadn't even occured to me. I could see that being a merit for them. If I did get a KC and then later get a WH, how long would I have to keep the KC away from the girls to ensure that the eggs were pure and not mixed? I'm not planning on raising ducklings this year anyway, and maybe an interm fellow might be a temporary fix. Is there a chance the girls would reject a WH Drake even if I remove the Khaki Cambell? These are my first ducks and I'm unsure of how this all works. When we got them I didn't think they would need a drake, but they sure act like they need one. yikes!

Welcome to Duckdom!

I have found that duck relationships are complex and sophisticated, and unpredictable. The girls will have fun with each other without a drake and if you don't want to raise ducklings, there's not harm, I doubt they really know what they are missing.

In our case, we had nine runners and a buff - all girls - and for many good reasons took in a buff drake and two more buff girls.

It took maybe six weeks for Einz to stop screaming. She's one of our runners. Elfie (runner) and Romy (buff) had a crush on Bean (buff drake). Bean was not revved up, so the girls got no attention from him.

Then, it was Valentine's day. Almost. And Bean got the hots. All was going well. He surfed with his girls, then Romy, then a couple or few of the runners.

One day, Zwei (runner) became alarmed that Bean was surfing on Romy in the kiddie pool. She charged over, and grabbed Romy's head (to prevent her from drowning, perhaps?). It devolved from there, and now Romy doesn't want to be the mattress in a Sumo wrestling match, Bean is obsessed with getting to Romy (which I do not allow right now due to the aforementioned problem), and I have had to temporarily - I pray - subdivide the flock.

With two girls, you don't want more than one drake, in my humble opinion. And they may or may not like him. Introducing a second drake without four or five more girls might also be a problem. Might still be a problem with the extra girls.

My primary goal here is not to overwhelm you, but give you a chuckle and some insight into social engineering with duckies.

Ya know, I love them to pieces......

Actually I think a drake adds personality to the flock. My drake is much friendlier than my hens. I have KC. He watches over and protects them. I would not be without a boy.

This is all a lot for me to think about, and isn't making any decisions easier! I really didn't want to breed them when I got them, but they are just so perfect as far as I'm concerned, that I won't mind down the road entertaining that idea... But the reason I wanted a drake now is because the girls keep taking turns pretending one is a drake.... So I thought maybe THEY wanted a drake
wink.png

I went back to our most local feed store( you know you live in the middle of nowhere when the "local" feed store is an hour drive) and again asked for local leads. They directed me to a pet store that gets ducks in for Easter. Never would have thought to look there! Any how, they get ducks in one a week until May, and one of the breeds they get are Welsh Harlequins!
yesss.gif
So there is a chance I might still my boy!

I had a KC with a female WH. They were a perfect pair. He was so gentle, nice and very friendly. He got killed by a hawk and I still miss him dearly. He was a sweetheart. I have a WH drake now with my WH female and he too is very nice to her and they make a great pair, but no drake will ever compare to my Frank the KC.

Also a side note: if you mix a WH with a KC you get a golden 300, which is VERY prolific layer.

Back
Top Bottom