1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Welsh Harlequin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by myscchicks, Aug 28, 2016.

1. myscchicks

myscchicks New Egg

Aug 28, 2016
    Good afternoon. I'm a proud new owner of a beautiful pair of W.H's. A friend of a friend gave them to me. I was told I have a male & female.
    Well, after researching them, I believe I have 2 females? Is there any sure way to tell?
    And also, do I need another W.H. to mate with them or could I get a Khaki Cambell or something along those lines? I've a newbie, so I could really use
    some help,pointers,etc. Thanks

2. bydhatch

bydhatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2016
    NC
    Hello!
    I am a new welshie owner as well!
    I have a male and female (supposedly)...and think I might have two females as well! Hahah!
    How old are they?
    Depending on their age, you can listen to their quacks.
    Otherwise, there really is no way to tell other than vent sexing.
    If they are raised together they might be okay just the two of them. In some instances they are fine, others are not. There is really is no way to tell. Keep an eye on them.
    If you get another a Khaki would be fine. Everything I have read says it is fine to mix breeds. :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  3. SmallFarmUSA

SmallFarmUSA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2016
    Indiana
    WH's are the best breed, IMO :) And they're great egg layers and mothers. Depending on their age: males have a quiet, raspy voice, females have your typical, distinct, loud quack. Males (unless they molting) will have a curled tail feather and green head, females do not.
    You can just keep the two, or you can add a different breed of duck,it's up to you.
    If you've never owned ducks before, keeping a constant supply of clean water deep enough to completely submerge their heads in will keep so many problems/diseases away. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by