Welsh Harlequins and pool depth

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dumb_cluck, Jul 4, 2011.

1. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I've got three WH's that are about two months old now.

I had a small pool for them to play in and that seemed to be fine with them. However, I thought they would like a bigger pool, so I substituted a larger pool. They won't get in.[​IMG]

Is it the depth, or the height of the edge? Or....... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    Is the side too tall for them to get in? Maybe try placing boards down as "steps" for them to comfortable hop into the pool...

3. dumb_cluck

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I put a couple 2x4 pieces near the edge and they avoided them like the plague!

I even tried picking them up and putting them in. They immediately got out. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  4. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    Maybe it is just too cold right after filling.

Maybe the pool needs to warm up?

Grasping at straws here.............can you tell? [​IMG] Sorry.

5. mr.mc.

mr.mc. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Indiana
    I had the same problem. what I found out is that my ducks will only swim when they are together. so my friend & I will pick them all up & put them in the pool at the same time.
    after we did that a time or to they started getting in on there own. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Pearsandgrapes

Pearsandgrapes Out Of The Brooder

I think it's just that the new pool is, well...new! My ducks seem think that "new" = suspicious, so they avoid said new item like the plague. They'll warm up to it soon enough. You could try letting them see you with some yummy green delicous thing in your hand, get their interest and then toss a few bits into the pool to make it more inviting. I have done that and then the extra, I lay next to the new pool. They will eventually come over to get the yummy...then the pool isn't so scary to them either! It holds treats! LOL!

7. dumb_cluck

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I've tossed peas into the water and they "want" to get them, but are hesitant...

Maybe too big too soon.........

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Ducks don't like any changes. They adapt quickly, so just leave them be and they will look at the pond for awhile and then they will be in it after they are certain you haven't slipped in an alligator.

9. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I added a big pool for ours and they never used it. We left it in there for almost 2 months, did different ramps and steps. If we put them in there, the would freak and fly out too. when they started to get noticeably dirty, we replaced it back to their little kiddie pool and they love it. Hope your situation works out better, but don't throw away the old pool.

10. Luvmyducks

Luvmyducks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    We did the exact same thing yesterday and they all looked at the pool like there was no way they were getting in there!! LOL They still have not been in it at all today. They have stepped into their little pool with no water in it and then look at the big one. I know they want to get in but have no idea what is so scary about the bigger pool. It is still blue, still plastic...hummmm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by