Welsh Harlequins Not Laying At 9 Months Old

BarredR

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 30, 2014
Gold Bar WA
I have three Welsh Harlequin ducks and one drake all about 9 months old. I got my first egg on January 12th and have been getting a egg a day sense. At nine months I would think they would all be producing eggs. they eat high protein flock raiser and get supervised free range almost daily. I have been told Welsh Harlequins are prolific layers but why would only one of my three be laying at this age?

From what I read, I am thinking that it's because it's winter possibly - unless you are in the southern hemisphere, and also free ranging ducks can have many places to hide their eggs.

Eleven of my ducks are taking the winter off, but Hazel has been laying an egg a day until just a few days ago.

Thank you for your suggestions but I know they arnt hiding them because they never go more then 50 feet from there pen when I let them out to free range. Also I have to watch them the whole time they are out due to lots of eagles,hawks and owls hear in Washington state. All my chickens are laying good and one out of three ducks daily. I just think it's weird I've never got a egg from two of my ducks. I guess only time can tell but thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom