Welsh Harlequins- please help me sex them!

DancingWthDucks

Songster
Feb 21, 2016
Cumbria, UK
Hi all,

Please help me sex my 4, 10 week old silver phase WH. I thought that I had 2 ducks and 2 drakes until I saw pics on other threads. Also, apart from beak colour when they hatch what are the tell tale signs that you have a duck/ drake?

Duck 1-

Duck 2-

Duck 3-

Duck 4-

Thanks in advance,

Charlotte

Kerrismama

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2016
Western Washington
Ducks quack, drakes rasp ( sort of sounds like a frog) and whistle. Voice sexing is the simplest, and can usually be done from six weeks of age. I have had some girls start quacking as early as a few weeks, but boys can be harder to distinguish when they're little because the peeping and whistling sound similar.

Pyxis

Hatchi Wan Kenobi
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
From the pictures I'd say 2, 3, and 4 are all drakes, but the voice method that Kerrismama posted will confirm this.

DancingWthDucks

Songster
Feb 21, 2016
Cumbria, UK
Thank you! I've just listened to them now and ducks (or should I say drakes) 2, 3 and 4 all do a raspy whisper noise. The first duck makes a loud honking noise- does this count as a quack?

Ravynscroft

For the Love of Duck
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Nov 30, 2014
Middle Tennessee
Thank you! I've just listened to them now and ducks (or should I say drakes) 2, 3 and 4 all do a raspy whisper noise. The first duck makes a loud honking noise- does this count as a quack?

Yes, it does... each duck tends to have its own voice, so there can be some differences... the biggie is the difference in volume of their voices...

DancingWthDucks

Songster
Feb 21, 2016
Cumbria, UK
Awww! I love WH's appearance! Looking into getting some...what do you think of yours @chickygirl7 ?

They are by far my favourite breed, not only are they so beautiful but they have great friendly, confident, characters! I would definitely recommend them. Mine haven't started laying yet, but I can't wait for lots of lovely big eggs :)

bydhatch

Chirping
Jul 23, 2016
NC
They are by far my favourite breed, not only are they so beautiful but they have great friendly, confident, characters! I would definitely recommend them. Mine haven't started laying yet, but I can't wait for lots of lovely big eggs :)

Sounds exactly like the breed I'm looking for! :) I'm sure they enjoy foraging?
(Sorry if this is a little out of context of the thread.)

Top Bottom