Welsh Harlequins- please help me sex them!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DancingWthDucks, Jul 24, 2016.

1. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Hi all,

Please help me sex my 4, 10 week old silver phase WH. I thought that I had 2 ducks and 2 drakes until I saw pics on other threads. Also, apart from beak colour when they hatch what are the tell tale signs that you have a duck/ drake?

Duck 1-
    [​IMG]

Duck 2-
    [​IMG]

Duck 3-
    [​IMG]

Duck 4-
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance,

Charlotte

2. Kerrismama

Kerrismama Just Hatched

Jun 1, 2016
    Western Washington
    Ducks quack, drakes rasp ( sort of sounds like a frog) and whistle. Voice sexing is the simplest, and can usually be done from six weeks of age. I have had some girls start quacking as early as a few weeks, but boys can be harder to distinguish when they're little because the peeping and whistling sound similar.

3. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    From the pictures I'd say 2, 3, and 4 are all drakes, but the voice method that Kerrismama posted will confirm this.

4. DancingWthDucks

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Thank you! I've just listened to them now and ducks (or should I say drakes) 2, 3 and 4 all do a raspy whisper noise. The first duck makes a loud honking noise- does this count as a quack?

5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Yes, it does... each duck tends to have its own voice, so there can be some differences... the biggie is the difference in volume of their voices...

6. bydhatch

bydhatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2016
    NC
    Awww! I love WH's appearance! Looking into getting some...what do you think of yours @chickygirl7 ?

7. DancingWthDucks

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK

They are by far my favourite breed, not only are they so beautiful but they have great friendly, confident, characters! I would definitely recommend them. Mine haven't started laying yet, but I can't wait for lots of lovely big eggs :)

8. bydhatch

bydhatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2016
    NC
    Sounds exactly like the breed I'm looking for! :) I'm sure they enjoy foraging?
    (Sorry if this is a little out of context of the thread.)

9. DancingWthDucks

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK

Yep they are great foragers, keeping my vegetable garden bug free without eating the plants :)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by