welsh harlequins (unknown sex)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Medusa M, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Medusa M

Medusa M Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2012
    Australia - WA-(perth)
    a while ago i got myself two day old welsh harlequin ducks ,they are now almost adults but im unsure what sex they are (as i have never had this breed before) i have provided some photos of the two ducks and any help on whether these ducks gender would be much appreciated (hopeully i have a breeding pair [​IMG])

[​IMG]
    i am ot sure but i suspect this may be a female (only due to colour and no coloured head and neck but as i have said before i really dont know)

[​IMG]

this is the suspected male (i only think hes the male because of his coloured head and neck but hes accutaly smaller than the white one )??

[​IMG]
    this is the white one again (suspected female)

if you know the difference between male and female welsh harlequins i would love to hear from you and any photos of your welsh harlequins would help alot ...thanks[​IMG]

2. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Looks like you should reverse your theory. Girls will have a light colored head, males with darker. The dark specks coming onto the head of the first one, a female wouldn't have. But more importantly, what do they sound like? Only the girl will outright quack.

1 person likes this.
  3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    The bill colour may also give an indication to you at this age- the males bill may be turning a more green colour - I think i can see that in the first and third photo. It may just be the lighting though.

4. Medusa M

Medusa M Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2012
    Australia - WA-(perth)
    oh...so dose this mean that the male is white ???i suppose that would make sence since the white duck is much bigger thank the coloured one :)

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Size isnt always a big indicator - I breed Harlequin coloured Indian Runners- so I am just going by what I know from my own flock. The males heads will darken as they molt and get their next set of feathers. Good Harlequins are hard to find here in Australia though- over here on the eastern side I only know of one breeder who has really good birds.

Hee are a young male and female of mine a few years ago- older than yours- but still it shows how much the males can change as they grow.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by