Welsumer Hens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mirjam, Oct 25, 2008.

1. mirjam

mirjam Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Vermont
    I was wondering about the disposition of Welsumers and their egg-laying capabilities. Are they rather docile or aggressive, laid back or flighty?
    I'm thinking of adding some to my flock next year...

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Welys are awesome birds. Great layers and friendly. Give them lots of attention
    as chicks to keep them friendly.

3. mirjam

May 13, 2008
    Vermont
    Attention? No Problem. I literally lived in the brooder with my first flock until DH got jealous...

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have to agree with PC. I have had a hen for a while and I got her at a year old. She was VERY easy to add to my already adjusted YOUNG flock. She never picked on anyone until they picked on her three times in a row than and only than did she every peck at them. They all KNOW she is the boss and she never has to peck...just look at them. She does however require 2 feet of space on either side of her at roost time [​IMG] She had been laying 5 eggs a week for us and now she is down to three but she is 2 yrs old now AND winter is right around the corner. She doesn't seem to like to lay in the winter. She is very friendly though and very good to the young ones who are now 22 weeks old.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Love all my Wellies and they are gentle and some will talk to you when you are out there.

The roosters are also gentle as well.

Just be careful who you get the Wellies from, hatchery stock are the worst ones in temperment wise and egg colors. I've seen or friends have had to get rid of them and replace them with good Wellie breeders . There are a few good Wellie breeders in here at BYC! You wont be sorry!

6. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    I only have one Welsummer and I am having a less than positive experience with her.

Keep in mind hens are like humans....some of us are nice and others aren't so nice.

My Welsummer is clearly the top of the pecking order and she will chase/peck at some of the "lesser hens" around just for spite the best I can tell. Not to protect the food, nest, coop. She does it anytime, anywhere. She lives with a Brahma, Barred Plymouth Rock and Chantecler, who now all giver her wide bearth.

My Welsummer stoped laying at 10 1/2 hours of sunlight. That is a long part of the year to not be laying.

On the flip side she is beautiful and lays lovely dark speckled eggs.

7. mirjam

May 13, 2008
    Vermont
    In light of what Ewesheep is saying, where do you all have gotten your Welsumers from?

8. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Adorable, cute, and when they are grown, pretty terra cotta eggs (except OURS, of course [​IMG] ) and SUUUPER soft feathers! [​IMG]

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Christie (Mothergoose) would be an excellent start. I am sure there are others in here that raises them. All my Wellie girls are from Gordie (he got them from Lowell Barber lines) and Calicowoods.

OK BYCer Wellie breeders, speak up!

10. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    I have nine breeds of chickens and the wells are my definite favorites. Very friendly and if i had to only have one breed it would be them. Aussiesharon and gamebirdsonly both have great welsummers. I got my eggs from both of them and the eggs were veriy dark good packing and out of 22 eggs from them 18 are on day 17 and about to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by