1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Welsumers and White leghorns

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mrcman, Feb 24, 2013.

1. mrcman

mrcman Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2011
    NW Pa.
    I did a search on this site on Welsumers and found a thread that describes them as terribly aggressive. I planned on ordering 24 Welsumers and 12 White Leghorn chicks for a spring deliveery. Will they all co-exist without the Welsumers killing the Leghorns??
    Also, are there any recommendations as to a good trustworthy hatchery to order my chicks from??
    Thanks for any and all sugestions and help.

2. SmallFlocker207

SmallFlocker207 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2013
    Meyer hatchery is a great hatchery. I have several welsummers and leghorns. When they were chicks they never EVER were agressive at all, and arent to this day.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    You got to be kidding me...I never seen anyone saying they are terribly aggressive LOL! Unless they got it from a hatchery, they are aggressive in most cases. If you get one from a breeder, you should not have to deal with an aggressive rooster. Breeders are careful who they select.

You might pay a bit more for breeder's Welsummers than hatchery Welsummers. You would be glad you did!

4. HappyChickenLover

HappyChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

My wife and I have one Welsummer cock that loves to attack here feet all the time, but he leaves me alone and the others dont do anything to us. As far as other cocks he is aggressive as any other bird would be, but I have Welsummer cockerals and Dark Brown Leghorn cockerals that raised together and fully grown live together. So in all they are not bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by