Welsummer 35 weeks has not laid egg yet. Any suggestions or helpful advice?

Leucadia

Hatching
Apr 17, 2015
Leucadia
I have a Welsummer that is around 35 weeks and is not laying. I originally started with two white leghorns and three Rhode Island Reds and introduced the Welsummer when they were around 18 weeks. I do notice that the leghorns tend to hang with each other and the same with the RIR's however they all seem to get along. The others started laying consistently over a month ago yet still no eggs from the Welsummer.

I am feeding them organic feed and they have a large coop and run. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

She may be stressed (a likely cause) but it could also be because it is nearing autumn that she is maturing more slowly? I'm not sure, but I hope this helps.
smile.png

A lot of heritage breeds take longer to begin laying, I would think she should start soon, my welsummer started around 6-7 months and they are sporadic layers, they are bred more for egg color so sometimes they are poor layers, it does depend on their breeding as well.

What type of stock is she, hatchery or breeding stock?

I hatched several welsummers at Easter, and only 1 has just started laying last week. Mine are breeder stock, hatchery stock generally start sooner. How does her comb and skin around her eye look? Is it pink or super red? If it's super red, she should start anytime.

Back
Top Bottom