1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Welsummer age guess

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cyndiloowho, Feb 7, 2013.

1. cyndiloowho

cyndiloowho Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Ut
    Does she look like she should be laying age?
    I have had her for 1 1/2 months -no eggs
    [​IMG]
    I wondered if the white downy bits on her neck were signs of being still too young? Or molt?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  2. 12chickenlover3

12chickenlover3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    She looks still to young sometimes chickens just start laying at different times. one of my chickens started laying at 8 months and the other is 1 year 7 months and still hasn't layed

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I think she's molting. I see down poking through on the back and head. It's either a partial molt from stress, regrowing feathers from rooster activities, or the regular, annual molt and she's a slow molter. Either way, the color of her face suggests that you won't be waiting too much longer.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN

A year and 7 months?! That's not normal. Some of them do take close to a year but one that took longer either has hormonal issues or laying issues or is a rooster passing as a hen.

5. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    True. If she's free-ranging, you might try looking for a secret nest somewhere on your property.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by