welsummer and easter egger confusion

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chattykathy306, Sep 14, 2012.

1. chattykathy306

chattykathy306 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2012
    My girls are now just over 8 weeks old and have grown swiftly and beautifully. However, I continue to be confused re. 2 of them. I would like some input, although I have yet to figure out how to post pics on here. One of them seems to have taken over the role of rooster. She rules the roost and kind of herds the others. She is large, fluffy and kind of orange with gray-blue feathers near the back. Her head and face have a hawk-like looks. Her feet are large and gray-green. The other unknown is small, sleek and coppery. Her body seems more sculpted and she is not so aggressive. Dark and reminds my hubby of a pheasant. I am quite sure that these are a welsummer and an easter egger, but not sure which is which. Any help?

2. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Legs are one clue. EEs have slate-colored legs and Wellies have yellow.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    ee would have greenish legs and a pea comb willie would have a single comb

4. ChickNhood

ChickNhood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Decatur IL
    Welsummers also appear to be very similar to brown leghorns in color...wellies have red ear lobes and leghorns have white

5. chattykathy306

May 6, 2012
    Thanks so much for all the help. It seems that my bossy big one, Charlotte, must be the Easter Egger and my little Henny Penny must be the Welsummer. I was just out to check on them (I have 6, all different breeds) and they are busily foraging in the edge of the woods. Sure hope nothing gets them. I had a halved cucumber for them and Charlotte came up to peck at it while I held it. She is definitely bolder than the others. Although they allow me to be near them, I have been unable to touch/hold them, except for their first night in their run, when they were getting sleepy and I picked them up and put them into the coop. Any tips on being able to handle them? This site is addictive; I need to get going to prepare for camping at the Mackinac Bridge tomorrow and all I can think of is those darned chickens! [​IMG]

6. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    It seems that the best way to make a chicken handleable is to handle it... a lot. Especially when they are little.

You might want to reward them for letting you pick them up. Maybe a handful of scratch grains at the ready to throw at them as soon as you put them down.

I can't pick up any of my chickens either, but the neighbors have a little girl that is always playing with the chickens, and they will jump into your lap.

7. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
  9. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    It might be an honest mistake on the part of the person who sold it to you. Wellies and Specked Sussexes both have "chipmunk" coloration as chicks and the one you got could have been mistaken for a Welsummer.

10. chattykathy306

May 6, 2012
    I will try to post pics of these 2 as soon as I have more time and figure out how to do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by